ES: Wow, okay, so once again we are talking to the parents of Trayvon Martin; Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, and I think Attorney Crump is on the phone as well, good morning to you.
BENJAMIN CRUMP: Good morning.
ES: So, from you guys, do you all think the prosecution did a good job presenting the case?
RELATED: Trayvon Martin’s Parents Speak Out On “The View” [VIDEO]
BC: Well, I will say this, Rickey; we applaud her for taking the case. Florida has 67 counties, 66 prosecutors in the state would not have taken the case to prosecute against George Zimmerman, no matter what the evidence is, so we applaud her for that. Whether she employed the strategies I would’ve employed, all lawyers have different styles, but I think at the heart of the matter they said at the end of the roles were reversed what would your verdict be? And I think that is the heart of this case, it has always been the heart of this case, can a little black boy, anywhere in America, get equal justice just as a little white boy. And, you know, that question was answered in some ways.
HEADKRACK: Now, just as important as like the persecution, Mr. Martin, the body language of the jurors; do you feel like the jurors were at any, were at any, in any way sympathetic or understanding of the severity of what was going on? Or do you think they kind of walked in there and kind of had their mind made up as to what they were going to do before the case even started?
TM: Well, certainly you know, you would hope that they didn’t have their minds made up from the get go. We just, I just as a parent, as an African-American male, I just felt as though the jurors didn’t look at the case through African-American eyes. And they couldn’t, I mean as mothers you know that they were, they had to be somewhat sympathetic, but could they see Trayvon for who Trayvon really was? And that’s my biggest thing is that I just thought as though they didn’t see it from my perspective.
RS: So I know that you y’all met the National Action Network and some of the, some of our prominent African-American pastors met with the United States Justice Department. Do you think that they’ll be bringing federal charges? And this is for the attorney; do you think they’ll be bringing federal charges? And the second part of that question is; do you think George Zimmerman violated Trayvon Martin’s civil rights? And I think that’s what the crust of that case would be, correct?
RELATED: Beyonce Has Moment Of Silence + 5 Other Celebrity Tributes For Travyon Martin
BC: Correct. And I know Sybrina and Tracy and our legal team will be meeting with the Justice Department tomorrow. And so what we’re trying to frame the issues, it’s real simple, because it effects more than just Trayvon, and that’s what is so commendable about Tracy and Sybrina. They understand the fight is not just for them, it’s much bigger, because they can’t bring Trayvon back. They’re fighting to protect other children. The issue can our children be profiled, followed and confronted by any private citizen with a nine millimeter gun because the United States Supreme Court can’t even, won’t allow police to profile just on race alone. So with that being the issue is the neighborhood watch private citizens of the world going to have more rights than the police? And if so, we need to know, because we need to know what to tell our children. And if not then the killer of Trayvon Benjamin Martin should be held accountable for violating his civil rights. Whether the Justice Department would do that, Rick, is going to be on us as a community to keep them vocal and be vigilant. If we shut up I can guarantee you they won’t do it.
« Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31