PoliticsNation host and National Action Network founder, Rev. Al Sharpton, released the following statement after meeting with President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder regarding the recent dismantling of the historic — and still necessary — Voting Rights Act of 1965:
Today the United States President and Attorney General met with a broad coalition of civil rights and voting rights leaders to assure us that they will continue to work with us to protect every American’s right to vote. We had great alarm when the Supreme Court ruled against Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act but after meeting with the President and the Attorney General we were assured that the Voting Rights Act may be wounded but it is not dead. It is not even critically wounded; it can and will be revived. The President said his Administration will do whatever is necessary to protect the rights of the American people to vote. I made it clear that one of the things that National Action Network and our partners will do at the 50th anniversary March on Washington on Saturday, August 24th is to attack and name those states that have engaged, since the court decision, in changing voter qualifications, and that have made efforts to suppress the votes. We will go into those states and register specific numbers of voters, and organize a national resistance as we did in 2012. The President spent about forty minutes with us and the Attorney General an hour and a half.
As previously reported by NewsOne, Holder addressed the National Urban League during their annual convention in Philadelphia, candidly speaking about the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down a key provision of the Voting Rights Act.
[T]oday I am announcing that the Justice Department will ask a federal court in Texas to subject the State of Texas to a preclearance regime similar to the one required by Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act. This request to “bail in” the state – and require it to obtain “pre-approval” from either the Department or a federal court before implementing future voting changes – is available under the Voting Rights Act when intentional voting discrimination is found.
Based on the evidence of intentional racial discrimination that was presented last year in the redistricting case, Texas v. Holder – as well as the history of pervasive voting-related discrimination against racial minorities that the Supreme Court itself has recognized – we believe that the State of Texas should be required to go through a preclearance process whenever it changes its voting laws and practices.
Watch Eric Holder’s speech to the Urban League below:
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
28 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 28
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 28
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 28
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 28
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 28
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 28
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 28
8. new new
8 of 28
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 28
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 28
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 28
12 of 28
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 28
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 28
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 28
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 28
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 28
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 28
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 28
20 of 28
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 28
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 28
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 28
24. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
24 of 28
25. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
25 of 28
26. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
26 of 28
27. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
27 of 28
28. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
28 of 28