Sweetie Pie’s is back. The St. Louis soul food restaurant with two locations run by Robbie Montgomery and her son, Tim, inspired “Welcome to Sweetie Pie’s,” one of the Oprah Winfrey Network’s most successful shows thus far.
The reality series follows Montgomery and her family as they navigate life, love and money while keeping up the soul food tradition that made them popular in the first place. The show’s third season begins on OWN on July 27 at 10 p.m. In previews, it appears that Tim and his fiancée, Janae, are having serious issues after the premature birth of their son, TJ.
“Yes sir, that’s a lifetime thing right there. Him and Janae, I’m just praying for them. I’m praying and cursing,” Montgomery told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “The baby is doing wonderful. That’s our beautiful child, we love him and he’s just walking around – not talking or nothing so I can’t teach him how to curse yet.”
As for her hapless nephew Charles, Montgomery says she’s close to giving up on him.
“He just had a dog have 9 babies. I’m putting him out of the house again, I’ve done fired him about three more times. He hasn’t changed.”
Now in her 70’s, the former Ikette exchanged sequined dresses for aprons, opening her soul food restaurant after a collapsed lung derailed her music career.
Years into a successful business, Montgomery’s son, Tim, crafted the idea of a reality show which was ultimately sold to Oprah’s fledging network. 32 episodes later, “Welcome to Sweetie Pie’s” is a bonafide hit.
This season, expect more family drama as well as Montgomery’s ongoing search for love.
“I’m still looking,” she says. When asked if it was necessary for a man to share her love of salty language, Montgomery said “If he’s a cursing man, he has to be a confident man and know what he’s cursing about. He don’t have to be young or old, but since Tina (Turner) got married, I’m feeling real powerful now.”
As for her reality show’s success at this point in her life, Montgomery says she’s grateful to still be on the air.
“This is truly a blessing. We never thought we’d be here this long but we’re still hanging in here.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25