Get ready for the next big drama. “R&B Divas” has packed up and headed to L.A. with Chante Moore, Kelly Price, Claudette Ortiz, Dawn Robinson, Lil’ Mo and Michel’le on board. If you thought the divas in Atlanta were a messy bunch, well this crew should set a higher bar. Price is the only one with a long-term marriage, Moore, Ortiz, Li’l Mo have been married and divorced and in some cases, married again. Ortiz, part of the 90’s trio City High, dated both male members of the group and one of then showed up on “Intervention.” Michel’le has children by both Dr. Dre AND Suge Knight. Dawn Robinson left EnVogue after a financial dispute. Li’l Moe has 500 tattoos (OK, we kid, but maybe 50 is accurate) and several children. Price was once morbidly obese. Moore has a baby with Kadeem Hardison and her ex-husband Kenny Lattimore who is suing her for custody as the season begins. Is that enough drama for you?
Moore says that despite all that, the show was primarily based around the singer’s shared love of music.
“It’s about music. I love that we all have an opportunity to really recreate ourselves on the show,” Moore told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. I like it that we all have history that it makes sense that we do something together since we all have music in common. That’s what it was about. They didn’t say ‘Can we follow you around your kitchen for nine weeks.’ They said ‘Come and let’s talk about music and who you are as an artist and what you can do as a group to make something else, something new. That’s what I was excited about.”
Okay, but what about the usual diva dustups that characterize these kinds of shows? The supertrailer has already identified Price as the “Nicci Gilbert” of this incarnation of “Divas” something that anyone in the industry who’s worked with her can likely attest to. Ortiz, the youngest of the group, looking to be falling into Keke Wyatt’s footsteps.
“We have six Type A personalities in one room,” Moore says. “We had to learn how to have a conversation without interrupting. I didn’t hit a single person.” But did she want to?
“I can honestly say that I kinda did, yes.”
Moore who releases her latest recording “Moore is More,” this month says the show afforded an opportunity to fans to get to know the artists they only know superficially.
“What’s good about it is that you get to know us a little bit more than you would in 45 minutes singing a song onstage. You can’t stop and talk about your life. You can’t get under the surface. Everyone will get to know us more personally. That’s the best part for me that it will be more of a personal relationship with the people that don’t get a chance to see us.”
After two high-profile relationships, Moore, whose big hit “Chante’s Got a Man” talked about the joys of having a good man in your life, is currently single. After two high profile relationships with actor Kadeem Hardison and singer Kenny Latimore, she says she’s available. For dating but not much else.
“I enjoy dating. I’ve been on a couple of dates. It’s nice. But I want to keep on dating. Date me to death, but don’t even think about asking me anything.”
“R&B Divas” premieres tonight at 9 p.m. on TV One.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31