The voters have spoken and we have a winner. The #1 R&B love song is Heatwave’s “Always and Forever,” which just beat out “Here and Now” by Luther Vandross at #2 and Whitney Houston’s signature song “I’ll Always Love You” at number 3.
Heatwave was part of the Dayton, Ohio connection that spawned funk bands like The Ohio Players, Lakeside and Slave. Although lead singer Johnnie Wilder, Jr. was from Dayton, he formed Heatwave while in the service in Germany. Once he left the service, he stayed in Europe, hooking up with English organ player Rod Temperton, who would become the creative catalyst behind many an R&B hit, including “Always and Forever.” The 7 member band scored with hits like “The Groove Line” and “Boogie Nights” but “Always and Forever,” written by Temperton, was the song that would outlast the band.
Temperton, who is still alive and kicking at 65 years old, is likely living a very comfortable life as he also wrote the songs “Rock With You,” “Lady in My Life” and ” “Thriller” for Michael Jackson, “The Secret Garden” for Quincy Jones” and “You Put a Move on My Heart” for Tamia, among many other hits. “Always and Forever” was a single from Heatwave’s 1977 album “Too Hot To Handle,” which also contained the hits “Boogie Nights” and “The Groove Line,” also written by Temperton. “Always and Forever” peaked at #2 on the Billboard Soul Singles chart.
Unfortunately, despite their success as one of the leading funk bands of the 70’s and after recording one of the most enduring love songs of all time, Heatwave was plagued with tragedy. Not one, but two band members were stabbed (one fatally) and lead singer and founder Johnnie Wilder, Jr., was paralyzed from the neck down in a car accident and spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair. The band’s full story was told on the TV One show “Unsung,” and remarkably, given his biggest hit, his wife stayed by his side for the next two decades until his death in 2006.
“Always and Forever” has been covered by numerous artists, most successfully by Luther Vandross in 1994, earning him a Grammy nomination.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25