The voters have spoken and we have a winner. The #1 R&B love song is Heatwave’s “Always and Forever,” which just beat out “Here and Now” by Luther Vandross at #2 and Whitney Houston’s signature song “I’ll Always Love You” at number 3.
Heatwave was part of the Dayton, Ohio connection that spawned funk bands like The Ohio Players, Lakeside and Slave. Although lead singer Johnnie Wilder, Jr. was from Dayton, he formed Heatwave while in the service in Germany. Once he left the service, he stayed in Europe, hooking up with English organ player Rod Temperton, who would become the creative catalyst behind many an R&B hit, including “Always and Forever.” The 7 member band scored with hits like “The Groove Line” and “Boogie Nights” but “Always and Forever,” written by Temperton, was the song that would outlast the band.
Temperton, who is still alive and kicking at 65 years old, is likely living a very comfortable life as he also wrote the songs “Rock With You,” “Lady in My Life” and ” “Thriller” for Michael Jackson, “The Secret Garden” for Quincy Jones” and “You Put a Move on My Heart” for Tamia, among many other hits. “Always and Forever” was a single from Heatwave’s 1977 album “Too Hot To Handle,” which also contained the hits “Boogie Nights” and “The Groove Line,” also written by Temperton. “Always and Forever” peaked at #2 on the Billboard Soul Singles chart.
Unfortunately, despite their success as one of the leading funk bands of the 70’s and after recording one of the most enduring love songs of all time, Heatwave was plagued with tragedy. Not one, but two band members were stabbed (one fatally) and lead singer and founder Johnnie Wilder, Jr., was paralyzed from the neck down in a car accident and spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair. The band’s full story was told on the TV One show “Unsung,” and remarkably, given his biggest hit, his wife stayed by his side for the next two decades until his death in 2006.
“Always and Forever” has been covered by numerous artists, most successfully by Luther Vandross in 1994, earning him a Grammy nomination.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25