Yet another reality TV show relationship bites the dust. It was just announced that Trina Braxton of the We TV hit show “The Braxtons” has finally filed for divorce from her cheating husband, Gabe. As you may recall, Trina was publicly humiliated by his cyber-cheating, but they both stepped out. Gabriel has admitted to cheating on Trina with numerous women in the past and Trina admitted to cheating on Gabriel — all of which played out on their reality TV show.
I’m surprised the marriage lasted as long as it did. But love is resilient, so you never know how much you can take until turmoil hits your life and you’re challenged by what’s in your head vs. what’s in your heart.
Nevertheless, the drama of relationships that we see play out on TV doesn’t even begin to compare to what people face on a daily basis in their real lives. But one thing I know for sure is that your relationship may be broken, but you don’t have to be. The key is to take care of yourself regardless of your relationship status. After all, it’s your responsibility to make your life work. If not you, then who? If not now, then when?
One day at the gym, I saw a sign on the wall that read, “While working out, make sure you drink water at least every 15 minutes in order to keep your body hydrated.” When our bodies become dehydrated, we can become dizzy, weak and suffer a loss of performance. When I saw this, I likened it to what happens to us personally when we don’t keep our spirit hydrated with what it needs to function at a high level.
Just like when we’re on a good stride on the treadmill, we often want to keep going, pushing ourselves and not stopping for rest or a sip of water. When we do this, similar to dehydration, we become weak, and ultimately we don’t think or perform at our personal best.
This same challenge can present itself in our personal relationships. Have you ever poured so much into trying to make a relationship work, doing whatever you could to push and move it in the right direction, that when you finally looked up, you lost yourself in the process? Your relationship may or may not have lasted, but your spirit, energy, and self-awareness dried up – or got dehydrated. Too often, what we fail to realize is that the more we nourish ourselves spiritually, mentally and emotionally, the better we are for ourselves and anyone who’s in our life. We know this on an intellectual level. It’s putting it into practice that gets difficult sometimes.
The hard reality is some people will take whatever you give out, but the return for you is worth very little. Are there people in your life who take from you constantly, but on the day you need encouragement and restoration, they’re nowhere to be found? Here’s a hint that it may be time to show them the door.
• If you can’t be your best self when they are around, you need to let them go.
• If you have to walk on eggshells or monitor your words extra carefully when they are around, you need to let them go.
• If you find that your spirit feels heavy when they are around and lighter when they are gone, you need to let them go.
• If loving them in any way hurts you, well, you know the answer: You need to let them go!
DEYA DIRECTIVE: Letting go is not about losing. It’s about freeing yourself and others from situations that are no longer working in your best interest. Let him, her, it, them GO; so that you might be light enough, agile enough and available for the gift of what’s next in your life – Go get it!
Deya “Direct” Smith, is a lead producer on the Tom Joyner Morning Show and host of Girlfriend FM & Beyond the Studio celebrity interviews. She is also the author of the best-selling book “Touch Yourself, 30 Ways to Live, Love and Let Go!” (www.touchmebooks.com) Deya is a life-style and inspirational speaker. Find her on Twitter@DeyaDirect and @Touchmebooks.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31