Every day we are inundated with news, updates, leaks and gossip about our favorite celebrities. With so much competing news, it’s hard to shock us.
However, my mouth did drop when I saw the recent story about Tina Campbell of Mary Mary and her husband Teddy, who has apparently cheated on her and, as a result of that and presumably other issues; she attempted to stab him and considered divorce.
While Mary Mary have their critics who suggest that they are too worldly, I am personally a huge fan of Mary Mary, their music and their reality TV show. Last season, we saw Tina struggling to save her marriage and balance both a career and family all while being pregnant, again. I guess now we have a clearer understanding about some of her breakdowns and outbursts. What I know for sure is that there is always a story behind the story. That’s why it’s important not to judge because you never know what a person is really going through. You only know what you see and think. But that is not necessarily the reality or truth.
CHECK OUT MY THROWBACK VIDEO WITH MARY MARY ON PAGE TWO.
Now back to my mouth dropping. It was actually not about Tina and Teddy’s struggle. Unfortunately, there is nothing abnormal about people struggling to maintain a healthy relationship. Instead what surprised me most was their transparency of fighting for their relationship and their request for the public to pray and fast for one month.
Here’s what Teddy wrote:
“…If u are able to, please fast and/or pray daily that God would answer our prayer and give us a deeper love & commitment to Him and to each other. We believe He still works miracles and He can give us the greatest marriage we could have ever imagined.”
To me that was powerful. Why? Because they actually invited us in to do something with them that’s active and positive. This, instead of the usual gossiping and criticizing that come easiest, you know the stuff we do to distract us from our own drama. Somehow by discussing other people’s issues, it temporarily makes folks feel better about their life. But now that they are asking for help, what are we going to do?
Not only will I pray for their marriage, but I pray that their transparency will help others to be more honest about the reality of their struggles and, as a result, seek the help that they need to heal and be victorious!
Deya Directive: The one thing that I’ve learned on this journey of telling my truth, especially the scary stuff and secrets that cause fear and shame, is that once you get comfortable with your truth and discuss it openly, it takes the power of the negativity away. Revelation is about release. What secret is it time for you to get released from? I dare you to get free. Tell the truth and shame the devil!
Deya “Direct” Smith, is a producer on the Tom Joyner Morning Show and host of Girlfriend FM & Beyond the Studio celebrity interviews. She is also the author of the best-selling book “Touch Yourself, 30 Ways to Live, Love and Let Go!” (www.touchmebooks.com) Deya is a life-style and inspirational speaker. Find her on Twitter@DeyaDirect.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25