President Barack Obama is squarely in the epicenter of a political storm – a mounting controversy that Republicans hope will tarnish Obama’s legacy as America’s first black commander-in-chief.
As I was walking along Capitol Hill last week, a place where Republicans have never been particularly respectful of Obama, I overheard conservatives whispering gleefully about Obama’s political demise. One gentleman with a southern accent told a colleague that Obama is “on the ropes” – a common boxing term which means that the opponent has been rendered lifeless from relentless blows to the body.
Some are privately hoping to craft Obama’s political obituary in the months ahead and several misguided Republicans actually claim that impeaching Obama is a possibility.
Insane. What exactly has Obama done wrong? What laws has the president been accused of breaking? None. As former President Bill Clinton likes to say: “This dog won’t hunt.”
The president’s critics, like sharks circling prey after smelling blood in the water, feel that Obama can’t withstand the recent trifecta crisis: The killing of a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11; the targeted IRS review of conservative groups; and the Justice Department’s seizure of phone records of Associated Press journalists.
These three unrelated scandals are likely causing some White House advisers many sleepless nights as Republicans continue to pound Obama for what they call hypocrisy and failed leadership. Did some members of the president’s senior staff show bad judgment? Yes, but none of these scandals have been directly linked to Obama.
Still, Rep. Jason Chaffetz, a Republican from Utah, told reporters that impeachment Of Obama is not a far-fetched notion.
“It’s certainly a possibility,” Chaffetz said. “That’s not the goal but given the continued lies perpetrated by this administration, I don’t know where it’s going to go. … I’m not taking it off the table. I’m not out there touting that, but I think this gets to the highest levels of our government and integrity and honesty are paramount.”
That’s completely absurd.
Republicans are hell-bent on blocking Obama’s legislative agenda for the next three years anyway, so these recent scandals give conservatives what they consider a legitimate reason to go after the president with their proverbial pitchforks.
In fact, GOP think tanks have crafted letters urging lawmakers to block every piece of legislation that Obama brings to the House floor and spend the next three years opposing the president’s policies. Basically, they are advising GOP congressional leaders not to work. What a waste of taxpayer money: paying Republicans on Capitol Hill to chill for three more years.
Of the three scandals, however, the most troubling is the Justice Department’s seizure of AP’s phone records which gives the appearance of violating AP’s civil liberties and goes against Obama’s public belief that government should support a free press in our society.
This is a potentially problematic for Obama since the scandal did happen on his watch, but it’s not insurmountable. So what can Obama do to manage this mess, get past these scandals, and restore integrity to government?
The president can continue to speak his truth and stay focused on an agenda to help improve the quality of life of Americans – and black Americans — who are still struggling to make ends meet and who are looking to Obama for hope.
Americans don’t seem to be particularly alarmed by these scandals: A new CNN poll shows that Obama’s approval rating is holding steady at 53 percent even during what Republicans are calling the worst two weeks of the president’s second term in office.
Obama’s vision for America has not changed. In fact, the White House says it will only dedicate 10 percent of its time to dealing with these debacles and will continue to focus on the big picture: putting people back to work, providing adequate health care for those in need, building more affordable housing, and lobbying to fund more education initiatives.
That’s real leadership.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30