Getting a Tax Refund? Here Are Some Smart Ways to Spend It

Comments: Comments Are Disabled  | Leave A Comment

Remember, Roth IRAs are subject to income limits. If you file your taxes jointly with your spouse, your income needs to be below $178,000 for you to be able to fully contribute to a Roth IRA. If you make between $178,000 and $188,000, you are in the “phase-out” range and the amount you can contribute—$5,000 in 2013—starts “phasing out.” At $188,000 you are unable to contribute to a Roth IRA.

For people filing their taxes as singles in 2013, your income needs to be less than $112,000 to fully contribute to a Roth IRA, and your phase out range is between $112,000 and $127,000. It’s one of the few times that earning less money actually works in your favor!

Another way to spend the money wisely would be to take a course and learn something, making an investment in yourself. There’s an old saying “empty your pocketbook into your head.”

None of these suggestions are all that fun.
Well, I may have mislead you at the beginning. Planning for retirement isn’t all that sexy, I guess, but neither is eating cat food when you’re 80. Let’s say you’ve done everything right—You have your rainy day fund and are maxing out your retirement plans and your house and your car are in top condition—okay, what can that $2,899 buy you?

You could buy 525 “tattoos for babies” from a website called “”

Here’s my final suggestion: Kick in another $182 and you can take the kids to Disney World. The average refund will cover airfare, a four night stay at a hotel plus park passes for a family of four.

Airfare from where?
Dallas, of course! We’re all set for next week!

I have to leave you with this: If you get a refund from the IRS, it means you paid more in taxes than you actually owed, in effect giving the government an interest-free loan.  The IRS doesn’t send you a check as a little “thank you” gift for filing your taxes—they’re just returning YOUR money. In the future, make sure you’re claiming the right number of deductions on your W-4 or ratchet back the amounts you send in for quarterly estimated tax payments.

« Previous page 1 2

Tags: » »


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,667 other followers