Have a question for the doctor? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Dr. Sampson Davis often says too many people wait until it’s time to visit the emergency room, but for a lot of conditions, it’s too late for treatment.
Davis, perhaps best known for making a pact with high school friends Rameck Hunt and George Jenkins to leave the mean streets and become doctors, has chronicled his experiences as an emergency room physician in Newark, N.J., but also that of those who treat the ER as a primary care facility.
The trio’s experiences leading up to and after their successes were detailed in “The Pact” and “The Bond.”
In his book, “Living and Dying in Brick City: An E.R. Doctor Returns Home,” Davis details some of his more compelling encounters with patients who remind him of a time in his life when he was poor and vulnerable. Davis also offers practical health advice for everyone.
Davis did not have a smooth and easy path to becoming a doctor. In fact, it wasn’t until Davis had served time in juvenile detention for an armed robbery that he decided to change his life. All of his associates, however, didn’t make it out of the cycle of violence.
Early in residency at a Newark Hospital, Davis recognized a name among a list of patients on a chalkboard and quickly realized it was the friend with whom he committed the armed robbery. The young man had been shot several times and died just before Davis arrived at the hospital that day.
Davis also had to contend with the rise in prescription drug abuse in poor neighborhoods, not just victims of recreational drugs like cocaine and heroin. He had to face the mental health crisis that often drives people to attempt, and sometimes succeed at, suicide. Many in the African American community refuse to seek help for mental health issues because they fear being labeled crazy or think their issues are simply a result of weak spiritual faith. Many families don’t contend with the issue until the patient’s behavior reaches a crisis stage or they act out by committing a crime or attempting suicide.
But most commonly, Davis discovered, it is the routine, silent killers that most afflict the black community: heart disease, stroke, diabetes and obesity, as well as the toll that sexually transmitted infections among women take. After his own sister died of AIDS, Davis vowed to use his platform to get the message out to young people, especially young women, that they have the power to protect themselves from preventable sexually transmitted infections.
Davis, Hunt and Jenkins founded The Three Doctors Foundation to help young people get the care, concern and guidance that helped them keep their commitment to become medical professionals.
Click here for answers to your questions to Dr. Sampson Davis.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30