Have a love question for Dr. Rachel? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Dr. Rachael Ross is worried about the state of male-female relationships, based in part on a conversation with a teenaged patient who told her, when asked if he had a Valentine, that he liked a girl well enough for sex, but not enough for a relationship because “these girls be on them games.”
The image of Valentine’s Day is that of romance, flowers, candy and true love, but Ross said she feared that is not the growing trend.
“The future of male/female relationships appears to be headed in a terrible direction…it’s on a downward spiral,” Ross said in a recent Facebook post.
Ross is known as a no-holds-barred speaker known who openly discusses relationships, sex, health, abstinence &/comprehensive sex education for teenagers, and HIV/AIDS prevention.
For Valentine’s Day, she is interested in helping to keep romance alive and to show young people there is more to sex than just a hookup.
Ross has said there is so much pressure on men and women to find the perfect gift on Valentine’s Day that they sometimes miss the opportunity to just talk with their partners and understand their emotional and mental needs, as well as their sexual ones.
Valentine’s Day isn’t necessarily all about expensive gifts or romantic getaways. Romance on a budget forces lovers to be more creative: one bar of high-end chocolate rather than a full box of mid-level or cheap candy; a homemade card; a walk in the park or a trip to a special museum exhibit; lunch at a romantic place rather than dinner or a voucher for a household chore or a night of wild pleasure to be redeemed when the partner is in the mood.
“Whether you’re married, dating or stepping out on a loved one, you’re looking for pleasure. There are safe and healthy ways to enjoy your partner – so why not take your relationship to a new level on a day created to celebrate love?” Ross said in a statement about Valentine’s Day a few years ago.
The author of “Down Right, Feel Right. Outercourse For Her & For Him,” has suggested that committed couples take a step outside of their comfort zone to spice up their romantic life. Dating couples may want to push the envelope a bit when it comes to sex.
“Let’s face it,” Ross said, “we’re all so busy that Valentine’s Day, birthday and anniversary gifts end up being rushed and put together at the last minute. It’s not too late to make it right for this year.”
Click here for answers to your relationship questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31