UNION BEACH, N.J. (AP) — Gov. Chris Christie, who has acknowledged to Barbara Walters he’s “more than a little” overweight and munched on a jelly doughnut on David Letterman‘s talk show, is addressing his weight issues head-on. Speculation is intensifying that he’s positioning himself to run for president in 2016.
“If you talked to anybody who has struggled with their weight, what they would tell you is ‘every week, every month, every year, there’s a plan,'” Christie said Tuesday, a day after appearing with Letterman, who has used the Republican governor’s midsection as a punch line since he took office in 2010. “The idea that somehow I don’t care about this, of course I care about it, and I’m making the best effort I can.”
Christie, 50, acknowledged dieting has been a regular part of his life for 30 years.
“Sometimes I’m successful, and other times I’m not,” he said. “And sometimes, periods of great success are followed by periods of great failure.”
Christie has never revealed his weight or released his medical records, and he bristled when his size came up during the 2009 governor’s race. An ad by incumbent Gov. Jon Corzine accused Christie, a former federal prosecutor, of “throwing his weight around.”
Christie found himself addressing the issue again on Tuesday, when a reporter asked whether the people who elected him should worry about his health because of his weight.
Christie said he’s “remarkably healthy” and proved his fitness for the job by working 18-hour days after Superstorm Sandy.
He gave a similar answer when Walters asked him in December during her “Most Influential People” special if he was too fat to be president.
“That’s ridiculous,” he responded.
Christie, who is widely mentioned as a possible presidential candidate as his national reputation has grown since the storm, had one health scare during his first term: an asthma attack on a humid summer morning in 2011. It diverted him from a scheduled press conference at a farm to a hospital. He addressed the press when he was discharged hours later, saying the heat, not his weight, contributed to the attack but vowing dietary modifications.
“I weigh too much because I eat too much,” he said then.
He said Tuesday “there is a plan” for his weight.
“Whether it’s successful or not,” he said, “you’ll all be able to notice.”
Christie recited two of Letterman’s fat jokes while appearing on CBS‘ “Late Show” on Monday night and told the comedian his laugh lines about his weight were funny “about 40 percent” of the time.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31