When I was a kid, my parents had a coffee table book, “Great Negroes: Past and Present.” Day after day, I would pass through the living room, (because there was no living in the living room) and didn’t really pay attention to the books that lived in the living room. One weekend before I had a book report assignment due, my mother suggested that I look through the Russell Adams book for some ideas, especially since we were approaching Negro History Month. Please tell me someone remembers before we were African American, we were Black and before we were Black, we were Colored or Negro and before we were Negro, we were–well, you get the idea.
So, with my mom, I sat on the living room floor and went through “Great Negroes: Past and Present.” There were well over 100 Great Negroes. And this was just Volume One–a very long, long, long time ago. There were so many Great Negroes! From Mary Mc Leod Bethune to Alexandre Dumas. The story that caught my eye was that of Gordon Parks. As his autobiography, “The Learning Tree,” indicated, his story was no where similar to my upbringing, but his love of photography is what grabbed my attention. He loved taking pictures just like I did. The only difference was, my “photographs” came from a Brownie camera. Mr. Parks’ photos were a bit more advanced. “American Gothic” is a classic. But the connection was made. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Parks, I have remained a fan of all his endeavors—from his autobiography, to his photography to his work behind a movie camera as a director of films like “The Learning Tree” to the original “Shaft” and others.
Here we are, Black History Month. How far we have come! The great Dr. Carter G. Woodson started it all with Negro History Week. Do you remember when we didn’t even have a full month? Yes, even though it is the shortest month of the year, let’s really have a celebration in our homes by initiating those conversations within our own families. You never know what connections or surprises will result from those talks. Pull those books off the shelves in your public library or home library and talk about great negroes, past and present. How great is the discovery that we have those great negroes, now great African Americans within our own communities, within our own families?! By talking about and sharing our history and traditions, we are on the road to creating GREAT AFRICAN AMERICANS: PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25