I witnessed an incident on a flight this weekend that reminded me how often we fail as a society, regardless of race or economic level, at defending and honoring our elders.
In a time ruled by technology, where productivity and profit come to those that can move the fastest; and in a day and age of maximum pleasure and thus maximum selfishness; it is the elderly who are denied value and honor.
An AP article posted today states that the number of Americans 65 and over is projected to nearly double by 2030. The number of seniors being abused, exploited or neglected every year is often estimated at about $2 million, judging by available statistics, but experts say the number could be much higher. Some research indicates that 1 in 10 seniors have suffered some form of abuse at least once and most of this abuse comes from family members.
All of us, no matter who you are, has been blessed, touched, trained, mentored, and loved by someone who is now an elder. No matter how well or poorly you have treated them in the past, I ask that you would honor an elder in your life today. Try to focus on the living, and if not, share the story of an elder that has gone on in your life with a young person who needs to know their story. But the living need to know how much they mean to us while they are here.
So call them to tell them they’re being thought of. Buy flowers, stop by and hug them, but let them know you are because they did. There are a few TJMS family members that wanted to honor an elder today.
Edward L. Nimrod honors his third grade teacher, Mrs. Sewell… “When I was a kid in my envoirnment, I had nowhere & no one to turn to for ANY sort of guidance so my third grade teacher, Mrs. Sewell, invited me to her church and introduced me to God…”
Vie Joyner honors her mom, Jean Joyner. She says, “she was my VERY FIRST GIRL CRUSH. I loved watching my mother when I was younger because I adored her! I thought she was just perfect.”
Karen McNeil honors her grandfather Europe Jackson. He will be 99 years old on January 31. She says, “When his oldest daughter passed away, he and my grandmother were heartbroken. But he kept working as a plumber to raise his 11 other children and his daughter’s only child, a girl. And that child is writing to you now to say how much she and the entire family love, respect and honor him.”
I know so many, but want to honor Evelyn Davis, my first Sunday school teacher. She gave us the word, taught us to be upright, was not afraid to knock you out, but loved and loves every child that came through St. Marks church until today.
So to every elder in my life and yours, THANK YOU. We are who we are because you were willing to do what you did. And today we honor you.
As always, I’m Jeff Johnson and that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25