Blessed are the mourners; for they shall be comforted.
When I tried to process how and why such horrible tragedies like the Connecticut shooting could happen, someone sent me that scripture.
Comfort is a start, but like President Obama said when he addressed the nation Friday with teary eyes, it’s time to take action. Like the rest of the country, he doesn’t want to ever see a scene like we saw in Newtown anywhere again.
This isn’t a political issue; this is a human rights issue. Every citizen in this country has the right to feel safe on the streets, in the mall, at the gas station or in kindergarten class. It shouldn’t matter whether it’s in a rich suburb, a rural farming community, a working class neighborhood or the inner city. We should feel outraged anytime a human is a victim of gun violence.
Before we spend another dime fighting for the freedom of others across the world or deploy another soldier, we need to demand that gun laws be changed and that the military or somebody take back the streets in Chicago, Philly, Cleveland, New Orleans and everywhere else that crime and violence run rampant.
I don’t want to hear a single word about how changing the laws won’t stop guns from getting into the wrong hands. It won’t stop all of it, but it will stop some of it. Increased services for the mentally ill are part of the problem too and must be addressed.
In times like these, we all look to each other to gain some kind of understanding on how we can begin to heal. Thank you for all of your Facebook posts expressing sadness, sympathy, confusion and, in some cases, anger over what’s happened. Don’t let it end there. Help me come up with a plan to hold our elected officials accountable for making some changes. Like so many of you, I will go on with my life, my vacation, my Christmas and, by the first of the year, be right back in my comfort zone. I don’t want that to happen. At the first of the year—and for those parents whose lives, vacations and Christmases will never be the same again—I want to find out what I can do to make a difference.
Let’s not be cynics and ask why it’s taken a shooting in a white, upscale neighborhood to cause us to force change. The point is if we don’t force change now, it will continue to happen. We banded together as a community and a nation and elected a president. We can do it again to stop senseless violence, starting with stricter gun control laws.
God bless the families in Newtown. And God bless families all over this country who have lost friends and family to senseless gun violence.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25