If you’re headed to the hometown of the First Family of the United States for the holidays, be ready for “the hawk,” the feisty wind that blows off Lake Michigan and sweeps across the city. Despite the cold, the city is festive and aglow in lights and filled with the holiday spirit. Be sure to check out dazzling holiday lights along the storied Magnificent Mile while shopping and taking in the sights. Check out ZooLights at Lincoln Park Zoo, which features luminous displays and holiday-season activities throughout zoo grounds. Additionally, NewsOne provides a list of 5 things to take with you for your trip.
SEE ALSO: Top 5 Ethnic Miami Spots To Dine In Over The Holidays
1. A Weather App:
As discussed, Chicago winters can be unpredictable. So if your Smartphone, like the iPhone, isn’t armed with a weather app, you may just want to add one before you leave. Check out the Weather App index for possible downloads.
2. Warm Clothing
Unfortunately, there is not an app for warm clothes unless you are shopping online and packing things to take with you. Hint: If you are already in Chicago, it’s too late. Get to an airport store quick.
Seriously, here is a list of things to pack: jeans, sweaters, heavy pants, long underwear, socks, etc. For your outerwear, you should make sure you have a down coat along with the very necessary hat, earmuffs, scarf, and boots.
Be aware that if you pack your coat, you may be chilly as you exit the plane on to the jet way because of the air gusts that blow through the gaps. Also, if you decide to wear boots, be mindful of those with laces. They take extra time to take on and off during security checks. Additionally, make sure your boots are comfortable for walking. A lot of sightseeing in Chicago involves walking, including visits to the John Hancock Tower and Willis Tower, the global icon formerly known as the Sears Tower and tracking down the best deep dish pizza and Chicago Polish sausage.
3. A Restaurant List
Chicago has long been known as a gourmand’s dreams with a plethora of restaurants to choose from. Check out a list of offerings at Zagat. Some selections off the beaten path include Chicago’s Home of Chicken and Waffles, Alice’s Bar-B-Que, and Sweet Maple Café.
4. A Chicago Map App
Of course you will need a map to help navigate your way around the sprawling city. Depending on the maker of your Smartphone, you might be able to find an app at iTunes. Not sure of the status of the app that guides users away from, ahem, high-crime areas, but you might want to use a map that helps guide you to Bronzeville, one of the oldest African-American neighborhoods in the nation that was once home to Louis Armstrong, civil rights leaders Ida B. Wells, and Bessie Coleman. Another stop could be a visit to the Hyde Park neighborhood of the Obamas. While the home is heavily guarded, it might be worth catching a glimpse of the modest, yet well-appointed grounds.
5. A Subway and Bus App
Make your way to ExploreChicago to download a subway or bus map so that you can make your way to the storied theater district to take in a play at the Goodman Theatre or to Solider Field to watch a Bears game or to the United Center to see the Bulls play. The Art Institute of Chicago and the John G. Shedd Aquarium are just two other great indoor sights to take in to avoid the cold!
Finally, Chicago has gotten a bad rap for it’s high-crime rate, which is a problem. But if you are careful, you can relax and enjoy yourself over the holidays!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31