If you’re headed to the hometown of the First Family of the United States for the holidays, be ready for “the hawk,” the feisty wind that blows off Lake Michigan and sweeps across the city. Despite the cold, the city is festive and aglow in lights and filled with the holiday spirit. Be sure to check out dazzling holiday lights along the storied Magnificent Mile while shopping and taking in the sights. Check out ZooLights at Lincoln Park Zoo, which features luminous displays and holiday-season activities throughout zoo grounds. Additionally, NewsOne provides a list of 5 things to take with you for your trip.
SEE ALSO: Top 5 Ethnic Miami Spots To Dine In Over The Holidays
1. A Weather App:
As discussed, Chicago winters can be unpredictable. So if your Smartphone, like the iPhone, isn’t armed with a weather app, you may just want to add one before you leave. Check out the Weather App index for possible downloads.
2. Warm Clothing
Unfortunately, there is not an app for warm clothes unless you are shopping online and packing things to take with you. Hint: If you are already in Chicago, it’s too late. Get to an airport store quick.
Seriously, here is a list of things to pack: jeans, sweaters, heavy pants, long underwear, socks, etc. For your outerwear, you should make sure you have a down coat along with the very necessary hat, earmuffs, scarf, and boots.
Be aware that if you pack your coat, you may be chilly as you exit the plane on to the jet way because of the air gusts that blow through the gaps. Also, if you decide to wear boots, be mindful of those with laces. They take extra time to take on and off during security checks. Additionally, make sure your boots are comfortable for walking. A lot of sightseeing in Chicago involves walking, including visits to the John Hancock Tower and Willis Tower, the global icon formerly known as the Sears Tower and tracking down the best deep dish pizza and Chicago Polish sausage.
3. A Restaurant List
Chicago has long been known as a gourmand’s dreams with a plethora of restaurants to choose from. Check out a list of offerings at Zagat. Some selections off the beaten path include Chicago’s Home of Chicken and Waffles, Alice’s Bar-B-Que, and Sweet Maple Café.
4. A Chicago Map App
Of course you will need a map to help navigate your way around the sprawling city. Depending on the maker of your Smartphone, you might be able to find an app at iTunes. Not sure of the status of the app that guides users away from, ahem, high-crime areas, but you might want to use a map that helps guide you to Bronzeville, one of the oldest African-American neighborhoods in the nation that was once home to Louis Armstrong, civil rights leaders Ida B. Wells, and Bessie Coleman. Another stop could be a visit to the Hyde Park neighborhood of the Obamas. While the home is heavily guarded, it might be worth catching a glimpse of the modest, yet well-appointed grounds.
5. A Subway and Bus App
Make your way to ExploreChicago to download a subway or bus map so that you can make your way to the storied theater district to take in a play at the Goodman Theatre or to Solider Field to watch a Bears game or to the United Center to see the Bulls play. The Art Institute of Chicago and the John G. Shedd Aquarium are just two other great indoor sights to take in to avoid the cold!
Finally, Chicago has gotten a bad rap for it’s high-crime rate, which is a problem. But if you are careful, you can relax and enjoy yourself over the holidays!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30