Think eating healthy isn’t sexy?
Fruits, veggies and whole grains aren’t just for the birds; they’re for the bees, too.
According to an article on Mother Nature Network, foods that are good for your heart are also good for your sex life and the same foods that clog arteries and contribute to heart attacks also slow your roll in the hay.
Carrots, avocados, watermelon, greens (cooked without the fatback), nuts, figs, yams and spices like nutmeg and turmeric and other foods that help promote weight loss can also help boost your libido.
Further, foods with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, including, mackerel, salmon and wild salmon, enhance circulation and get blood flowing to all the critical places when you are ready to get busy.
Heavy foods like steak and greasy fried foods actually slow blood flow, which can contribute to erectile dysfunction (ED). They also contribute to obesity, another risk factor for ED.
“If the body is spending its time and energy cleaning itself constantly from these chemicals we put in it, it cannot begin to perform at its peak sexually,” Brian Clement, Ph.D., L.N.C., co-director of the Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach and co-author with his wife of “7 Keys to Lifelong Sexual Vitality,” told Mother Nature Network.
“One-third of young marrieds have fertility problems today and instead of seeing men with performance problems at age 70 the way we did a few decades ago, we now see it at age 40,” Clement said. “Fifty percent of 40-year-old men cannot perform.”
And think you can compensate for a bad night with Viagra? That may not be your smartest move in the long run.
Clement said the No. 1 user group for Viagra is not middle-aged men over 50, but men 20-28. But he warned the drug can overstimulate the libido and by the time those men reach their 30s or 40s, they may have difficulty performing because they abused the drug.
Nationally known Dr. Rachael Ross, a medical doctor with a PhD in sexology, said as men age they also can be at risk of andropause – frequently referred to as male menopause – which results in a diminished sex drive and ability to perform.
Some men experience weight gain, reduced muscle strength and bone density, hair loss, decreased energy, and even hot flashes and those conditions can be exacerbated by excessive drinking, obesity, smoking and lack of exercise.
A low-fat, high-fiber diet, exercise and cutting back on alcohol and caffeine are recommended.
“Male menopause is often described as a mid-life crisis. You may see a man whose personality begins to change … a man who typically chased women and who was very driven by sex and sexuality become less interested in the opposite sex.
He may become fatigued or depressed and have added girth around his stomach,” Ross told andrology.com. “He may also experience erectile dysfunction and gynecomastia, an increase in breast tissue.”
That may not all be related to diet, but eating the wrong things can make a bad situation worse.
The Clementses recommend avoiding fatty meats, like bacon and sausage, which are high in saturated fat and cholesterol, most cheeses, processed baked goods that contain trans fats, and soy-based products, which are high in estrogen and can lower male sex drive and increase the risk of disease and testosterone in women.
Looking for a better lover? You might want to chat up that vegetarian you’ve been teasing for not putting any meat on her plate.
We’re just saying.
Click here for answers to your Get Well Wednesday questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31