Think eating healthy isn’t sexy?
Fruits, veggies and whole grains aren’t just for the birds; they’re for the bees, too.
According to an article on Mother Nature Network, foods that are good for your heart are also good for your sex life and the same foods that clog arteries and contribute to heart attacks also slow your roll in the hay.
Carrots, avocados, watermelon, greens (cooked without the fatback), nuts, figs, yams and spices like nutmeg and turmeric and other foods that help promote weight loss can also help boost your libido.
Further, foods with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, including, mackerel, salmon and wild salmon, enhance circulation and get blood flowing to all the critical places when you are ready to get busy.
Heavy foods like steak and greasy fried foods actually slow blood flow, which can contribute to erectile dysfunction (ED). They also contribute to obesity, another risk factor for ED.
“If the body is spending its time and energy cleaning itself constantly from these chemicals we put in it, it cannot begin to perform at its peak sexually,” Brian Clement, Ph.D., L.N.C., co-director of the Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach and co-author with his wife of “7 Keys to Lifelong Sexual Vitality,” told Mother Nature Network.
“One-third of young marrieds have fertility problems today and instead of seeing men with performance problems at age 70 the way we did a few decades ago, we now see it at age 40,” Clement said. “Fifty percent of 40-year-old men cannot perform.”
And think you can compensate for a bad night with Viagra? That may not be your smartest move in the long run.
Clement said the No. 1 user group for Viagra is not middle-aged men over 50, but men 20-28. But he warned the drug can overstimulate the libido and by the time those men reach their 30s or 40s, they may have difficulty performing because they abused the drug.
Nationally known Dr. Rachael Ross, a medical doctor with a PhD in sexology, said as men age they also can be at risk of andropause – frequently referred to as male menopause – which results in a diminished sex drive and ability to perform.
Some men experience weight gain, reduced muscle strength and bone density, hair loss, decreased energy, and even hot flashes and those conditions can be exacerbated by excessive drinking, obesity, smoking and lack of exercise.
A low-fat, high-fiber diet, exercise and cutting back on alcohol and caffeine are recommended.
“Male menopause is often described as a mid-life crisis. You may see a man whose personality begins to change … a man who typically chased women and who was very driven by sex and sexuality become less interested in the opposite sex.
He may become fatigued or depressed and have added girth around his stomach,” Ross told andrology.com. “He may also experience erectile dysfunction and gynecomastia, an increase in breast tissue.”
That may not all be related to diet, but eating the wrong things can make a bad situation worse.
The Clementses recommend avoiding fatty meats, like bacon and sausage, which are high in saturated fat and cholesterol, most cheeses, processed baked goods that contain trans fats, and soy-based products, which are high in estrogen and can lower male sex drive and increase the risk of disease and testosterone in women.
Looking for a better lover? You might want to chat up that vegetarian you’ve been teasing for not putting any meat on her plate.
We’re just saying.
Click here for answers to your Get Well Wednesday questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30