Diabetes is the fifth leading cause of death in the U.S. and is the fastest growing disease in the country.
In the African American community, the statistics are especially dire.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 3.7 million black Americans are affected by diabetes. Nearly 40 percent of black children have contributing factors to diabetes, including being overweight or obese, and black Americans are more likely to suffer from diabetes-related complications, including kidney disease .
Victoza, an injectable diabetes treatment, has been found to help patients reduce and maintain blood sugar at a medically ideal level, while gastric bypass surgery has had great effect in lowering Type 2 diabetes.
But many doctors said that good nutrition and exercise are important for prevention and some doctors say good old-fashioned dietary changes and exercise can’t be beat for achieving weight loss and keeping diabetes at bay.
Dr. John O. Agwunobi, senior vice president and president of health and wellness for Walmart US, oversees the company’s health and wellness business unit, including pharmacies, OTC and vision centers.
He has helped the retailing giant craft a plan with, a health insurance firm, to offer a line of foods and provide cost savings to consumers as an incentive to eat healthier and meet their wellness goals.
Walmart recently launched an effort to save diabetes patients in the U.S. up to $60 million annually with an exclusive line of diabetes products, including blood glucose meters and test strips.
HumanaVitality members who shop at Walmart became eligible for 5 percent savings on products that qualify under Walmart's Great For You icon, including fresh fruit, vegetables and low-fat dairy items. The program rewards members for making healthy choices and achieving wellness goals.
"Price is an important factor in incentivizing wellness in America. By offering affordable, healthier foods, we will help make our customers healthier and reduce costs to our healthcare system as a whole. This represents preventative care in its purest form," Agwunobi told Chain Drug Review, a drug store industry publication.
“We want to be our customers' wellness destination — the retailer that provides them with affordable ways to fight for their health."
The American Diabetes Association recommends that people who take insulin to treat their diabetes test their blood glucose levels a minimum of three times per day to appropriately manage the disease. Many people on oral medications also can also test their blood glucose. This can result in high out-of-pocket costs.
The association also encourages Americans to schedule regular checkups with their doctors and dentists to make sure they are staying on top of the disease.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25