Got a question about diabetes? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH)
Experts will gather at the Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University, Nov. 14-17, for the Global Diabetes Summit to discuss the latest diabetes research and develop a road map for the prevention, detection, treatment and management of the disease, which has been diagnosed in an estimated to 3 million black Americans and could be impacting millions more who are unaware they are diabetic.
African Americans are nearly twice as likely as non-Hispanic whites to develop diabetes and 25 percent of black Americans ages 65-74 are diabetic.
Dr. Trudy Gaillard, an adjunct assistant professor in Nursing Undergraduate Studies and a research assistant professor in Endo, Diabetes and Metabolism at Ohio State and a leading researcher on the impact of diabetes on black people will be among the presenters at the conference which is being held during National Diabetes Month.
Gaillard has been a regular at the annual Tom Joyner Take a Loved One to the Doctor events, taking calls on the Dr. Day hotline and participating in other activities.
According to the American Diabetes Association, 3.2 million, or 13.3 percent of all African Americans aged 20 or older have diabetes and one in four black women over the age of 55 has diabetes.
Not only are black Americans more likely to get the disease, but related complications strike disproportionately as well. It is the No. 1 cause of blindness, kidney disease and amputations for black Americans and heart disease and stroke account for about 65 percent of deaths in people with diabetes and diabetics are also at a higher risk for stroke and death from stroke.
Children are particularly at risk of contracting diabetes because of the childhood obesity epidemic.
In a paper published in the research journal Healio Endocrinology/Endocrine Today, Gaillard noted the importance of diet and exercise in managing diabetes.
“Excessive weight (obesity) and lack of physical activity are two of the major factors associated with increasing metabolic syndrome risks. These two factors are increasing in both U.S. adults and children,” Gaillard wrote.
“Understanding how weight gain and lack of physical activity are associated with increased metabolic syndrome and CVD mobility and mortality are major public problems. Most studies have shown that increases in physical activity are associated with lower rates of metabolic syndrome and other CVD comorbid conditions. … This issue is particularly important in black women who report less leisure time physical activity compared to white women.”
In other words, there is a direct correlation between exercise and lowering or preventing incidences of diabetes and related conditions that could lead to death for those with diabetes.
Kirk Geter, D.P.M., assistant professor at the College of Medicine and chief of the Division of Podiatry at Howard University Hospital told BlackAmericaWeb.com in an earlier interview that a test for diabetes should be part of a routine physical for people how have a history of the disease in their families.
On Saturday, Nov. 17, Dominque Wilkins, an NBA legend and vice president of basketball for the Atlanta Hawks, and Oscar Joyner, president and chief operating officer of Reach Media Inc., the parent company of the Tom Joyner Morning Show and BlackAmericaWeb.com, will address the summit on their personal battles with diabetes and their successful management strategies.
This event is free, but registration is required. Register at go.osu.edu.
Click here for answers to your diabetes questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31