Nobody can say that success is giving comedienne Luenell a big head. In fact, it’s given her a small one.
The bawdy, husky-voiced, actress/standup comic is the voice of a sassy, shrunken head in “Hotel Transylvania,” a new Adam Sandler animated film that opens Friday about a resort hotel built by Count Dracula (Sandler) for Frankenstein, the Invisible Man, the Werewolf and other monster buddies looking for a lavish vacation hideaway from the pitchforks and torches of mankind.
“It’s odd-looking and cute,” Luenell said of her animated character. “I kind of hang on the door like a door knocker and talk trash as people walk by.”
It’s a small role in a big-budget film in which Luenell shares the screen with comedic heavyweights like “Saturday Night Live” alums Sandler, Jon Lovitz, David Spade, Andy Samberg and Molly Shannon, along with Kevin James from “King of Queens,” Fran Drescher of “The Nanny,” Steve Buscemi of HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire,” and “The Voice” judge and singing superstar CeeLo Green.
“Hotel Transylvania” is part of Luenell’s methodical path to stardom in which she hopes to achieve “The Four B’s” – getting her face on bus stops, buses, billboards and buildings – and winning an Academy Award for her acting skills.
“Projects I’ve been in have made all of those, but I haven’t quite gotten my little face on any of those yet, but you know what? It ain’t over ‘till it’s over, and I don’t see the end for a long, long while,” she said. “I expect to get all of those things I just mention, and the Oscar, too.”
Her career accent began in the comedy clubs of Los Angeles, where her talent was noticed by contemporaries like Jamie Foxx, D.L. Hughley, and the late standup comedian Robin Harris. Luenell’s raw, often off-color comedy routines led to television appearances on shows like “BET’s Comic View,” “ Foxx’s “Comedy After Dark,” “The Tracy Morgan Show,” “Nash Bridges,” and “The Boondocks,” and movies like “So I Married an Axe Murderer,” “The Rock,” and “Never Die Alone.”
She scored a big break with her performance as the “hooker with the heart of gold” in Sacha Baron Cohen’s 2006 movie “Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.”
The “Borat” helped pave the way for a part in “That’s My Boy,” a Sandler film released earlier this year, which later led to becoming “Hotel Transylvania’s” shrunken head.
“Being that I worked with Adam before, it’s pretty well-known fact that if Adam likes you, he’ll re-use you,” Luenell said. “I told him when I worked with him on ‘That’s My Boy’ last year ‘I hope to work with you again. I hope I can be one of those repeat offenders that you love so much.’ When the part came available, I got a call to come in and do it.”
Luenell said she was thrilled to be part of a talented cast as the one assembled for “Hotel Transylvania” even though she didn’t work with any of her co-stars in person while the movie was being made.
“I was by myself (in the recording studio) with just the engineers,” she said of her voiceover work. “I hope to make friends maybe at the premiere and get on the radar of some people who don’t know that I’m in the film. You know, CeeLo Green is in it, Steve Buscemi, Fran Drescher, people I’ve been a fan of. Now we are indeed co-stars and I hope to get on their radar and I hope to get more voiceover work out of it, hopefully. If it happens it happens, if it doesn’t it doesn’t. I have more than one venue to make my money.”
One money-maker remains standup comedy. Luenell may have gone from foul-mouth standup to family-friendly in the PG-rated “Hotel Transylvania” but she has no intentions of giving up being one of the bad girls of comedy.
“I haven’t changed being foul-mouthed, that’s not going to change,” she vowed. “When I’m working at a nightclub doing a 10:30 p.m. show for a crowd that’s used to what I’ve been doing for 22 years and pretty rowdy, and expect to go hard, I give them what they want.”
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Luenell Campbell Brings the Laughs to the Kids’ Screen