Nobody can say that success is giving comedienne Luenell a big head. In fact, it’s given her a small one.
The bawdy, husky-voiced, actress/standup comic is the voice of a sassy, shrunken head in “Hotel Transylvania,” a new Adam Sandler animated film that opens Friday about a resort hotel built by Count Dracula (Sandler) for Frankenstein, the Invisible Man, the Werewolf and other monster buddies looking for a lavish vacation hideaway from the pitchforks and torches of mankind.
“It’s odd-looking and cute,” Luenell said of her animated character. “I kind of hang on the door like a door knocker and talk trash as people walk by.”
It’s a small role in a big-budget film in which Luenell shares the screen with comedic heavyweights like “Saturday Night Live” alums Sandler, Jon Lovitz, David Spade, Andy Samberg and Molly Shannon, along with Kevin James from “King of Queens,” Fran Drescher of “The Nanny,” Steve Buscemi of HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire,” and “The Voice” judge and singing superstar CeeLo Green.
“Hotel Transylvania” is part of Luenell’s methodical path to stardom in which she hopes to achieve “The Four B’s” – getting her face on bus stops, buses, billboards and buildings – and winning an Academy Award for her acting skills.
“Projects I’ve been in have made all of those, but I haven’t quite gotten my little face on any of those yet, but you know what? It ain’t over ‘till it’s over, and I don’t see the end for a long, long while,” she said. “I expect to get all of those things I just mention, and the Oscar, too.”
Her career accent began in the comedy clubs of Los Angeles, where her talent was noticed by contemporaries like Jamie Foxx, D.L. Hughley, and the late standup comedian Robin Harris. Luenell’s raw, often off-color comedy routines led to television appearances on shows like “BET’s Comic View,” “ Foxx’s “Comedy After Dark,” “The Tracy Morgan Show,” “Nash Bridges,” and “The Boondocks,” and movies like “So I Married an Axe Murderer,” “The Rock,” and “Never Die Alone.”
She scored a big break with her performance as the “hooker with the heart of gold” in Sacha Baron Cohen’s 2006 movie “Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.”
The “Borat” helped pave the way for a part in “That’s My Boy,” a Sandler film released earlier this year, which later led to becoming “Hotel Transylvania’s” shrunken head.
“Being that I worked with Adam before, it’s pretty well-known fact that if Adam likes you, he’ll re-use you,” Luenell said. “I told him when I worked with him on ‘That’s My Boy’ last year ‘I hope to work with you again. I hope I can be one of those repeat offenders that you love so much.’ When the part came available, I got a call to come in and do it.”
Luenell said she was thrilled to be part of a talented cast as the one assembled for “Hotel Transylvania” even though she didn’t work with any of her co-stars in person while the movie was being made.
“I was by myself (in the recording studio) with just the engineers,” she said of her voiceover work. “I hope to make friends maybe at the premiere and get on the radar of some people who don’t know that I’m in the film. You know, CeeLo Green is in it, Steve Buscemi, Fran Drescher, people I’ve been a fan of. Now we are indeed co-stars and I hope to get on their radar and I hope to get more voiceover work out of it, hopefully. If it happens it happens, if it doesn’t it doesn’t. I have more than one venue to make my money.”
One money-maker remains standup comedy. Luenell may have gone from foul-mouth standup to family-friendly in the PG-rated “Hotel Transylvania” but she has no intentions of giving up being one of the bad girls of comedy.
“I haven’t changed being foul-mouthed, that’s not going to change,” she vowed. “When I’m working at a nightclub doing a 10:30 p.m. show for a crowd that’s used to what I’ve been doing for 22 years and pretty rowdy, and expect to go hard, I give them what they want.”
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Luenell Campbell Brings the Laughs to the Kids’ Screen