When you think of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, you think of the dominant center for the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks and Los Angeles Lakers, the six-time NBA champion and Hall of Famer and the league’s All-Time Leading Scorer.
He is also an author, historian and actor.
Now you can add survivor and advocate to the list.
Abdul-Jabbar, who was diagnosed with Philadelphia chromosome-positive (Ph+) chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) in 2008, is working to inspire and encourage fellow patients with Ph+ CML to work closely with their doctors and take action to actively manage the blood leukemia.
Sept. 22 has been declared CML Awareness Day in the United States to help raise awareness of the disease and call attention to advancements made in the treatment of the disease.
CML is a disease in which the body produces cancerous white blood cells and is responsible for 10 to 15 percent of all adult cases of leukemia. Over the last decade, significant advances in the understanding of this disease have led to improved patient outcomes. As a result, CML is now a disease that may be managed in many patients for a long time by working with a doctor to develop the best possible treatment plan. In 2011 alone, there were about 5,150 newly diagnosed cases of this disease in the U.S.
Abdul-Jabbar, the National CML Society and Novartis Oncology will host a free webcast event Friday to provide CML patients and caregivers the opportunity to learn from and question experts on a variety of topics related to living with the disease.
"I heard the world 'leukemia,' and I thought this was definitely a death sentence." Abdul-Jabbar told ABC News when he went public with the news of his diagnosis, but he noted that his prognosis was good, and that "If I can do this as I'm told to do it, I can manage this."
Now, he told “Patient Power” in a telephone interview last week that he agreed to become a patient advocate to help others, and “pay it forward.”
“Knowledge is power,” Abdul-Jabbar said, adding that patients who better understand disease management can “prolong and better your life.”
Abdul-Jabbar and Greg Stephens, founder and executive director of the National CML Society, will be available during the webcast to discuss living with CML, including the active role patients can take in managing their disease and the importance of connecting with others.
To learn more about CML, visit the National CML Society. The global CML Advocates Network also has a directory of support organizations around the world.
And you can also add honoree to the long list of accolades for Abdul-Jabbar.
On Nov. 16, the Lakers will unveil a statue of Abdul-Jabbar outside the STAPLES Center, joining those of former Lakers Earvin “Magic” Johnson and Jerry West, former Kings hockey great Wayne Gretzky, boxer Oscar De La Hoya and former Lakers broadcaster Francis “Chick” Hearn.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31