What advice can you give about wedding costs?
Weddings are astronomical these days! I think a lot of people fall into the trap of thinking “anything goes” in pursuit of that “perfect” day and end up spending way more than they can actually afford. The average wedding costs nearly $27,000. Compare that to the median household income–$52,000, and you find a lot of couples borrowing money to pay for their weddings and paying it off years later. A marriage that begins in debt is starting off on the wrong foot: You don’t want to be celebrating your 20th wedding anniversary by celebrating that you’ve finally paid off your debt.
So what cost cutting measures do you suggest?
We’re becoming what I call a “rental nation,” moving from being more of a ownership-based society to a rental one. We’re all familiar with the more traditional rental aspects of a wedding, from the groom’s tuxedo to a classic getaway car for a stylish exit, but one new trend we’re seeing a lot is renting the bride’s dress. The dress is one of the highest ticket items of a wedding, and if you think about it, we’ve had it backwards. Men should be buying their tuxedos and women should be renting their dresses. Renting is a fantastic option for women who want to wear their dream dress but don’t want to spend tens of thousands of dollars. There are many online options: onenightaffair.com and renttherunway.com are just a couple.
In addition, the bride can rent her jewelry, handbag, shoes…even her veil. HappilyeverborroWED.com has all sorts of bridal accessories for rent. And let’s say a bride doesn’t want to wear costume jewelry—she wants to wear REAL diamonds on her wedding day. Well, she can truly feel like a princess by renting the “Kate Middleton” earrings (modeled on the ones she wore at the royal wedding) from adorn.com. They retail for $10,875 and rent for $160. The savings are staggering.
What about the wedding party?
The average bridesmaid spends $1,695. Doubtlessly, the bride will tell you that you can “totally wear that dress again,” but the truth is that no one ever wears that dress again. While most bridesmaid dresses are moderately priced, if you add it up, we spend a total of $2.1 billion a year on bridesmaid dresses alone!
The good news is that bridesmaids can rent everything as well. The rent the runway weddings section solves the 27 Dresses problem, and another option is littleborroweddress.com. Let your bridesmaids rent their dresses and they can spend more money on your gift!
Is that it?
This is the kicker: You can even rent a wedding cake. A lot of couples consider their cake to be a work of art and it holds a place of honor by the dance floor, so they rationalize spending way too much on it. You can rent a fantastic looking three-tier cake for $125 from cakerental.com or pay $100 extra for a custom design. The cake is foam and inedible, but there’s a hidden compartment in the back of the bottom layer where you can put a real piece of cake, so you’ll still get your photo op.
Any other tips?
One final idea: When renting the space for your wedding, you might consider a nearby historical site. If you choose a historical garden, museum or homestead, or even a state or national park, the fee you pay may be deductible as a donation. Check with the site for more details. You can also donate leftover food and flowers to a non-profit for a tax write-off.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31