What advice can you give about wedding costs?
Weddings are astronomical these days! I think a lot of people fall into the trap of thinking “anything goes” in pursuit of that “perfect” day and end up spending way more than they can actually afford. The average wedding costs nearly $27,000. Compare that to the median household income–$52,000, and you find a lot of couples borrowing money to pay for their weddings and paying it off years later. A marriage that begins in debt is starting off on the wrong foot: You don’t want to be celebrating your 20th wedding anniversary by celebrating that you’ve finally paid off your debt.
So what cost cutting measures do you suggest?
We’re becoming what I call a “rental nation,” moving from being more of a ownership-based society to a rental one. We’re all familiar with the more traditional rental aspects of a wedding, from the groom’s tuxedo to a classic getaway car for a stylish exit, but one new trend we’re seeing a lot is renting the bride’s dress. The dress is one of the highest ticket items of a wedding, and if you think about it, we’ve had it backwards. Men should be buying their tuxedos and women should be renting their dresses. Renting is a fantastic option for women who want to wear their dream dress but don’t want to spend tens of thousands of dollars. There are many online options: onenightaffair.com and renttherunway.com are just a couple.
In addition, the bride can rent her jewelry, handbag, shoes…even her veil. HappilyeverborroWED.com has all sorts of bridal accessories for rent. And let’s say a bride doesn’t want to wear costume jewelry—she wants to wear REAL diamonds on her wedding day. Well, she can truly feel like a princess by renting the “Kate Middleton” earrings (modeled on the ones she wore at the royal wedding) from adorn.com. They retail for $10,875 and rent for $160. The savings are staggering.
What about the wedding party?
The average bridesmaid spends $1,695. Doubtlessly, the bride will tell you that you can “totally wear that dress again,” but the truth is that no one ever wears that dress again. While most bridesmaid dresses are moderately priced, if you add it up, we spend a total of $2.1 billion a year on bridesmaid dresses alone!
The good news is that bridesmaids can rent everything as well. The rent the runway weddings section solves the 27 Dresses problem, and another option is littleborroweddress.com. Let your bridesmaids rent their dresses and they can spend more money on your gift!
Is that it?
This is the kicker: You can even rent a wedding cake. A lot of couples consider their cake to be a work of art and it holds a place of honor by the dance floor, so they rationalize spending way too much on it. You can rent a fantastic looking three-tier cake for $125 from cakerental.com or pay $100 extra for a custom design. The cake is foam and inedible, but there’s a hidden compartment in the back of the bottom layer where you can put a real piece of cake, so you’ll still get your photo op.
Any other tips?
One final idea: When renting the space for your wedding, you might consider a nearby historical site. If you choose a historical garden, museum or homestead, or even a state or national park, the fee you pay may be deductible as a donation. Check with the site for more details. You can also donate leftover food and flowers to a non-profit for a tax write-off.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30