Christopher Darden is a desperate man or a complete idiot.
Seventeen years after Darden was banished into obscurity after he unsuccessfully prosecuted O.J. Simpson for murder in the so-called “Trial of the Century,” Darden is trying to step out of the shadows and back into the public spotlight.
Darden, the former Los Angeles deputy district attorney, is now accusing the late Johnnie Cochran, Simpson’s former lead attorney, of tampering with evidence by “manipulating” one of the gloves that Darden linked to the double murder of Simpson’s ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman.
In one of the most captivating moments in the Simpson trial – and in a highly-theatrical move that inflamed racial tensions across America – Cochran asked Simpson to try on the glove, which he showed the jury was too tight.
"If it doesn't fit,” Cochran famously told the jury, “you must acquit."
Now, 17 years later, Darden claims Cochran intentionally altered the glove to get Simpson acquitted.
"I think Johnnie tore the lining,” Darden said last week during a panel discussion at Pace Law School in New York. “There were some additional tears in the lining so that O.J.'s fingers couldn't go all the way up into the glove."
"A bailiff told me the defense had it during the lunch hour,” Darden said. "It's been my suspicion for a long time that the lining has been manipulated."
So why is Darden suddenly going public with this explosive accusation? Why didn’t he raise this issue during the trial if he felt that Cochran had somehow compromised his legal ethics? Why didn’t he accuse Cochran to his face when Cochran was alive?
Does Darden hate Cochran because Cochran outsmarted him in court while the world watched in amazement?
Darden never filed an ethics violation against Cochran with the bar association; he never took formal action with the district attorney’s office where he once worked; he never took his grievance to the judge.
This is a cheap shot by Darden – a cowardly move – to accuse Cochran when Cochran is not here to defend himself. Cochran died in 2005 from a brain tumor at age 67.
"Having made the greatest legal blunder of the 20th Century," Alan Dershowitz, who was part of Simpson’s legal team, said of Darden, "he's trying to blame it on the dead man."
This absurd allegation may be Darden’s desperate cry for attention and an attempt to return to the headlines. He’s still practicing law, but he hasn’t enjoyed the kind of celebrity that he experienced during Simpson’s high-profile trial.
Simpson is serving up to 33 years in prison for a 2007 armed robbery in which he claimed he was trying to recover his own football mementos.
I feel some empathy toward Darden; perhaps he just can’t let go of the past because, after all, the Simpson trial was the highlight of Darden's legal career.
“In some ways I'm still recovering from the trial,” Darden said several years ago. “My health is not as good as it ought to be. I've gone back to practicing law and it seems to have taken a toll for whatever reason.”
It may be time for Darden to take another break because he’s starting to sound like a man who will say anything to get his name back in print.
But Darden should also do some serious soul-searching: He needs to figure out why 17 years later he still feels compelled to cast doubt on Cochran’s brilliant legal strategy that ultimately torpedoed Darden’s rise to notoriety.
Watch video of Johnnie Cochran in court below.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31