As the civil rights movement and Brown vs. Board of Education was blatantly being ignored in most of Mississippi, the decision to send a young Chicago boy who needed structure to the South was made by his widowed mother, Mamie Till. Unaware of the depth of racism and Jim Crow in the South, 14-year-old Emmett Till arrived in Money, Mississippi on August 20, 1955 to stay with his great uncle, Moses Wright. After a day of picking cotton, Till accompanied a group of youngsters to Bryant’s grocery to buy candy and cold drinks.
The playback of what happened inside the local store between Till and the store owner’s wife, Carolyn Bryant, has varied. Some believe Till whistled at Bryant, while she claimed that the 14-year old approached and touched her, while making sexually suggestive comments. The story is unclear as to what actually happened, but other children with Till claimed he had bragged about having a white girlfriend back in Chicago.
News of what had happened spread fast. The first and fatal reaction was from Bryant’s husband, Roy Bryant. On August 28, 1955, Till was kidnapped and brutally murdered by Roy Bryant and his accomplice John Milam. The men viciously beat and shot the young boy in the head. They were said to have had an African-American accomplice, whose identity was assumed but not confirmed.
Till’s body was found three days later at the Tallahatchie River in the neighboring town of Glendora, with a metal fan attached to his neck by barbed wire. The ring he was still wearing, gifted to him by his mother, bearing his father’s initials, identified him as the missing 14-year old boy. The tragedy was said to have sparked the civil rights movement in America.
Ironically, the Rosa Parks bus incident occurred exactly 100 days after Till’s murder.
Till’s killers were arrested on kidnapping charges and eventually acquitted. News of Till’s murder spread internationally after a gruesome photo of his battered and mutilated body was published on the cover of Jet Magazine. Mamie Till wanted the vision of her son to resonate with the community as an example of pure hatred and racism so she ordered an open casket funeral. The lives of Roy Bryant and John Milam, along with Mamie Till, Emmett’s mother, who had already lost her husband in the war, were never the same.
In a January 24, 1956 article, Look magazine published a story written by William Bradford Huie called, "The Shocking Story of Approved Killing in Mississippi." Huie paid Roy Bryant and John Milam $4,000 for their story on how they killed Till. In a follow-up one year later, both men had lost their businesses (which had served the local black community) and were shunned by their white counterparts.
John Milam died in 1980 from cancer and Roy Bryant died ten years later, also of cancer.
Even today, there is still mystery behind Till’s murder, with unanswered questions about the accomplices and the trial.
A new voice and face has been given to Till in the upcoming docudrama entitled, “55 Till Now,” coming to theaters this November. The film, Directed by DeShaun Davis of DD8 & Company Films, stars Jonah Lampkin as Emmett Till and Erica L.Taylor as Madison Page, an investigative researcher looking for the answers of Till’s murder. The film includes the discussion of race relations in America with celebrity commentary.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Little Known Black History Fact: Anniversary of Emmett Till’s Murder