The 2012 London Olympics are well underway and if you have not had or taken the time to watch any of the hours of coverage being broadcast by all of NBC’s platforms, you have missed a lot. But if you missed the opening ceremony, in my opinion you didn’t miss an event with the abstractly choreographed splendor of the Beijing Olympics. As someone born in the UK, I appreciated the world being introduced to British culture, but was most surprised that the main characters in English film producer Danny Boyle’s production were of African decent.
The U.S. Olympic team also has some brothers and sisters in sports that traditionally don’t see us going for the gold that I think, win or lose, you have to check out both their skill and their stories.
Cullen Jones gained major attention as part of the gold medal winning 4×100 meter freestyle relay in Beijing. That is swimming and not track for those of you that are familiar with all the event terminology. Jones, who almost drowned when he was 5 years old committed to overcoming his fear of the water. Well, the world would agree he has.
Gabby Douglas has been stealing the hearts of America and the world as she has performed with excellence, gaining one of the two U.S. spots to compete for the Olympic All Around in Gymnastics. The 16-year-old hopes to be the first black woman to win a Gymnastics medal since Dominique Dawes won bronze in 1996.
Daryl Homer and Nzingha Prescod are the two African-American U.S. Fencing team's secret weapons at this year's Olympic games. 19-year-old Nzigngha travels the country engaging African-American young people with the sport she loves. Daryl decided he would become a fencer at 10 years old after seeing a picture of the sport in the dictionary.
And finally, there is a brother I really want you to check out. But this Haitian-American competing for Haiti is inspirational not just because he is going for the gold in the triple jump. But Samyr Laine, the lawyer, the Harvard, Georgetown and University of Texas grad represents excellence on and off the track. He said, “My path to becoming a world class athlete is far from ordinary. While in law school at Georgetown, my teachers had no idea I would travel to France, Qatar or Brazil for competitions on the weekend, yet make sure that my work was always on point. In doing so, I was able to pursue excellence in the classroom and on the track without letting one affect the other."
This takes nothing from the brothers and sisters in the games that play neither basketball or run track, nor the non-black athletes at the Games. All are champions who should be celebrated. These five athletes illustrate that we can take the road less traveled and win. Let's watch them, cheer for them, but also use them as an example in our own lives to do what others won't to win the Gold. I believe we all can.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31