I know that many of you heard that Michael Clarke Duncan, probably best known for his role as John Coffe, in "The Green Mile," suffered a heart attack in his home last week. If you did hear than you know that his girlfriend, Omarosa was credited with saving his life by administering CPR until the paramedics arrived. TMZ broke the story first and because he lived and is recovering well, the story didn’t stay in the headlines long. But it made me start to think, how many of us would have been able to save our man, woman, child or loved one in the same way.
Basic lifesaving skills are not something that we think about on the daily basis, but in an emergency situation, they are truly what makes the difference in life and death. Many of us, hell, most of us are not prepared to administer lifesaving procedures in the case of an emergency. The American Heart Association reports that only 32% of sudden cardiac arrests get CPR because most bystanders (usually family) do not have training. On the flip side, 92,000 people a year are saved because of bystanders who ARE prepared.
With many cities cutting costs, resources, and staff, even the best EMS teams are overworked. And in cities where the system is broken, it is sometimes better to call a cab than an ambulance. For this reason alone we have got to be diligent about getting our families trained with basic lifesaving techniques and even talking about what to do in the face of an emergency. Remember the corny TV sitcoms when the stereotypical TV dad would have the clip board and piss off the family doing adhoc fire drills? Well, ask the families of the over 2,600 people that died in home fires if they wish they could have been so corny.
A website called wisebread.com had a great piece on the 10 lifesaving skills you should know. Take a look at it if you can, but I want you to focus on five of them.
1. CPR / Using an AED – Both cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the proper use of Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs), which are now in schools, malls, and most other public facilities, are the bridge from a heart attack to professional emergency attention.
2. The Heimlich Maneuver – Technique used to dislodge foreign objects preventing breathing. Special training for kids is essential.
3. Controlling Bleeding – Learning the proper way to apply pressure and seek additional medical attention.
4. Providing Aspirin for Heart Attacks and Strokes – increases blood flow and reduces clots. You must know if the person is taking other medications.
5. Exit a Burning Building – Have a plan to evacuate EVERY building. Train your family on what to do.
These small actions can make a huge difference. When I read the story about Mike and Omarosa, it was not just about a star and her boyfriend. They are friends of mine, real people. I know you have some real people in your lives too. Let’s make sure we are empowered with every piece of information that keeps them protected in any situation
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25