I know that many of you heard that Michael Clarke Duncan, probably best known for his role as John Coffe, in "The Green Mile," suffered a heart attack in his home last week. If you did hear than you know that his girlfriend, Omarosa was credited with saving his life by administering CPR until the paramedics arrived. TMZ broke the story first and because he lived and is recovering well, the story didn’t stay in the headlines long. But it made me start to think, how many of us would have been able to save our man, woman, child or loved one in the same way.
Basic lifesaving skills are not something that we think about on the daily basis, but in an emergency situation, they are truly what makes the difference in life and death. Many of us, hell, most of us are not prepared to administer lifesaving procedures in the case of an emergency. The American Heart Association reports that only 32% of sudden cardiac arrests get CPR because most bystanders (usually family) do not have training. On the flip side, 92,000 people a year are saved because of bystanders who ARE prepared.
With many cities cutting costs, resources, and staff, even the best EMS teams are overworked. And in cities where the system is broken, it is sometimes better to call a cab than an ambulance. For this reason alone we have got to be diligent about getting our families trained with basic lifesaving techniques and even talking about what to do in the face of an emergency. Remember the corny TV sitcoms when the stereotypical TV dad would have the clip board and piss off the family doing adhoc fire drills? Well, ask the families of the over 2,600 people that died in home fires if they wish they could have been so corny.
A website called wisebread.com had a great piece on the 10 lifesaving skills you should know. Take a look at it if you can, but I want you to focus on five of them.
1. CPR / Using an AED – Both cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the proper use of Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs), which are now in schools, malls, and most other public facilities, are the bridge from a heart attack to professional emergency attention.
2. The Heimlich Maneuver – Technique used to dislodge foreign objects preventing breathing. Special training for kids is essential.
3. Controlling Bleeding – Learning the proper way to apply pressure and seek additional medical attention.
4. Providing Aspirin for Heart Attacks and Strokes – increases blood flow and reduces clots. You must know if the person is taking other medications.
5. Exit a Burning Building – Have a plan to evacuate EVERY building. Train your family on what to do.
These small actions can make a huge difference. When I read the story about Mike and Omarosa, it was not just about a star and her boyfriend. They are friends of mine, real people. I know you have some real people in your lives too. Let’s make sure we are empowered with every piece of information that keeps them protected in any situation
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25