You really have to love someone to marry them 17 times. That’s what “Basketball Wife” Jackie Christie and her husband, former NBA player Doug Christie will do again this year when they renew their vows as they do annually. But this year’s ceremony comes with a twist – this year the Christies will join people around the country in their support of marriage equality. As much as the Christies love getting married, they think that everyone should have the opportunity. Christie is grateful that her own marriage, notable for its length and for Christie’s assertion that she took extreme lengths to keep her husband from straying, is intact and strong.
“It makes me feel extremely blessed,” Christie said in an interview on Bosschicks.com earlier this year. “I’m not saying our relationship is perfect. Of course we’ve had our ups and downs but those hard times have only made us stronger. I’m thankful that I have a husband who respects me, not only me but women in general. Of course, he’s had women around him, but he respected me enough to say to them “hey you don’t want to do this. I have too much respect for you and for my wife to ever cross that line. I’m married to my best friend, we’ve been married for 16 years and we get re-married every year to celebrate our marriage.”
This year’s wedding took place this past Sunday and promised to be inclusive and supportive of the LGBTQ community. The wedding was filmed, although it’s unclear if it will end up on “Basketball Wives: LA,” which begins its second season later this summer. Christie says she was “pleased” by her portrayal on the show and expects the second season to go well, despite the backlash against the fights and bullying on the “basketball wives” shows.
“I’m a little apprehensive but excited,” she said. “I know that some of the girls might come back and have a few bones to pick and that’s fine. I believe that we are all grown women and should be able to admit to things that we have said. The 'he say, she say,' I don’t deal with it. If you’re grown say 'I said it, because I’m going to put it all on the table.'”
Christie has both a clothing line and a book “Sexual Relations” that deals with couples and intimacy coming out. Christie says that true to their relationship, she and her husband are partners in everything they do. The couple has three children.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25