Got questions for the doctor about annual cancer screenings? Text them to “646464” (OHOHOH).
A change in health practices and diet, especially avoiding over-processed foods, may play a major role in preventing certain kinds of cancer and many screening tests may cause more harm than good, a surgeon and author contends.
“What’s interesting is that breast, prostate and colon tumors are very similar and are affected positively or negatively by the same actions,” Dr. Christine Horner writes in “Waking The Warrior Goddess: Dr. Christine Horner’s Program to Protect Against and Fight Breast Cancer.”
Horner’s advice is pretty much the same advice most medical professionals urge: eat healthy, organic food, get proper rest, exercise, take supplements and avoid what is bad for you.
Horner, who lost her mother to cancer, pushed through federal and state legislation ensuring that breast reconstruction after a mastectomy would be paid for by insurance companies and is a former Kentucky state spokeswoman for the American Cancer Society.
Her emphasis, though, is on preventing cancer and avoiding what she calls “unnecessary screenings.”
While the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force recommends that women 50 and older have mammograms every other year and the American Cancer Society recommends annual mammograms after age 40, Horner has said the radiation mammogram screening emits makes it counterproductive to preventing breast cancer.
In April, a study in Norway estimated that 15 to 25 percent of breast cancers found by mammograms wouldn’t have caused any problems during a woman’s lifetime, but were being treated anyway. Early tumors, once detected, usually are removed and the patient is treated with chemotherapy or radiation because there’s no way to be certain whether the tumors are dangerous or benign.
“None of these screenings are perfect” Horner has said. “There’s a real problem with over diagnosis, especially in the United States, and in many cases too many people are being put under the knife for no reason.”
The question, however, is whether the outcomes are different for black women who are less likely than white women to get breast cancer, but when they do, they are more likely to die.
According to a study at the University of North Carolina schools of Public Health and Medicine and the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, black women under the age of 50 have a 77 percent higher mortality rate from breast cancer than other women of the same age. Further, younger, pre-menopausal black women are more prone to an especially aggressive type of cancer.
Many black medical experts take exception to the suggestion that black women would benefit from fewer mammograms and many African-American health care professionals continue to recommend that black women above age 40 have annual checkups, including mammograms.
“The biggest drawback of screenings,” Horner has said, “is that they are used to find problems, not prevent problems.
“Breast, prostate and colon cancer all have one thing in common: the cancer tumors are similar, which means that the same actions fuel them and the same lifestyle changes prevent them.”
Click here for answers to your cancer screening questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31