Got questions for the doctor about annual cancer screenings? Text them to “646464” (OHOHOH).
A change in health practices and diet, especially avoiding over-processed foods, may play a major role in preventing certain kinds of cancer and many screening tests may cause more harm than good, a surgeon and author contends.
“What’s interesting is that breast, prostate and colon tumors are very similar and are affected positively or negatively by the same actions,” Dr. Christine Horner writes in “Waking The Warrior Goddess: Dr. Christine Horner’s Program to Protect Against and Fight Breast Cancer.”
Horner’s advice is pretty much the same advice most medical professionals urge: eat healthy, organic food, get proper rest, exercise, take supplements and avoid what is bad for you.
Horner, who lost her mother to cancer, pushed through federal and state legislation ensuring that breast reconstruction after a mastectomy would be paid for by insurance companies and is a former Kentucky state spokeswoman for the American Cancer Society.
Her emphasis, though, is on preventing cancer and avoiding what she calls “unnecessary screenings.”
While the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force recommends that women 50 and older have mammograms every other year and the American Cancer Society recommends annual mammograms after age 40, Horner has said the radiation mammogram screening emits makes it counterproductive to preventing breast cancer.
In April, a study in Norway estimated that 15 to 25 percent of breast cancers found by mammograms wouldn’t have caused any problems during a woman’s lifetime, but were being treated anyway. Early tumors, once detected, usually are removed and the patient is treated with chemotherapy or radiation because there’s no way to be certain whether the tumors are dangerous or benign.
“None of these screenings are perfect” Horner has said. “There’s a real problem with over diagnosis, especially in the United States, and in many cases too many people are being put under the knife for no reason.”
The question, however, is whether the outcomes are different for black women who are less likely than white women to get breast cancer, but when they do, they are more likely to die.
According to a study at the University of North Carolina schools of Public Health and Medicine and the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, black women under the age of 50 have a 77 percent higher mortality rate from breast cancer than other women of the same age. Further, younger, pre-menopausal black women are more prone to an especially aggressive type of cancer.
Many black medical experts take exception to the suggestion that black women would benefit from fewer mammograms and many African-American health care professionals continue to recommend that black women above age 40 have annual checkups, including mammograms.
“The biggest drawback of screenings,” Horner has said, “is that they are used to find problems, not prevent problems.
“Breast, prostate and colon cancer all have one thing in common: the cancer tumors are similar, which means that the same actions fuel them and the same lifestyle changes prevent them.”
Click here for answers to your cancer screening questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25