As you well know, this Sunday is Father’s day. As a result of the crisis of single mothers in our community many of us spend this time of the year questioning where are all the fathers.
Well, whether you call him father, daddy, pops, old man, or just dad, I want to celebrate the men who day in and day out embrace the gift of being a father.
You know the "I gotta put in 80 hours a week, but I won't miss a recital, concert, game or event"" dads.
And the "I’ll take my kids to church even when mom can’t so they can see what a man praising God looks like" dads.
Or the "I never was shown affection by my father, but know how to discipline and love my sons" kind of dads.
Or the "none of these kids come from my seed, but I will step up and be the father they don’t have" dads.
And especially, the "I pay child support, but still can’t see my kids, but won't stop fighting to be the father G"od called me to be" dads.
There are so many great fathers out there that seldom get the shine because we are so busy talking about the ones that are not there. Perhaps if we operated the other way, brothers who are MIA could see what real fathers look like even if they never had one.
So as I get out of here, just a few shout outs:
Sherod Thurman says about her dad Kenneth Wilson: He's shown me so much over the past 16 years, including how to really treat a woman and how to be independent. While he may not be my biological "daddy", he has definitely been a father to me.
Taffani Holmes said that her father, Rufus Holmes, was never too busy for us and even though he never finished high school, always had wisdom to share.
Ms. Molly (via Twitter) said Charles M. Ward, her father "was a single parent since I was 2. He is always there when I need him to give me advice."
Mommy Making Moves (via Twitter): my husband Randy Hemphill is amazing with our son and my little sister.
And I want to send a huge Father’s Day shout out to my dad, Johnnie Johnson. I don’t remember a day that I didn’t sense your presence. I have felt your love for me everyday of my life. I don’t remember a day that you have not challenged me to be better.
Watching you work showed me how to, and your emotional availability with me and my brother showed me how to love my babies. Watching you fight through legal blindness and 4th stage cancer like a soldier has shown me how to live in the face of life. I am proud to be your son.
Family, if there is a man anywhere in your life who loves, supports, shows up and out of his children, use the entire week to let him know how much he means to you. And when someone tells you there are not enough real dads, tell them that they are not looking hard enough. Real fathers, stand up and take a bow. This is your week. Happy Father's Day.
As always, I'm Jeff and that's my truth.
Please join me this week on THE INTERSECTION as we celebrate dads. www.blis.fm/theintersection. We want you to call in and tell us about your father.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25