The fact that spring is the most popular season for weddings may be a cruel trick because a lot of newlyweds are going to be forced to make some big decisions their first three-day weekend as a married couple. Last year, their biggest decision was probably which big holiday weekend movie they would see, and trust me, they will soon be yearning for those simple times.
Yes, newly married couples, you are about to get a pre-curser to the years of holiday hell that no one had the heart to warn you about.
Memorial Day weekend is nothing compared to Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it does allow you to find out what you’ve really gotten yourself into before those major events roll around.
Click here to hear Nikki Woods’ weekly “What in the Weekend?” report.
Usually the problem begins with a sentence as easy as this one: “Whose house are we going to for the holiday?”
There’s an exception to every rule, but in most cases, this question is as loaded as Bobby Brown at Happy Hour. If you did premarital counseling, (which is a little bit like a pregnant new mom asking what labor is like; you really just have to go through it to get it.) you probably discussed sex, money, trust, faith, but I’ll bet no one prepared you for the first holiday.
That’s what we’re here for.
So here’s a Mamas Gone Wild “Will You Have a Good Holiday?” Quiz.
1. Your husband asks you to get his mom’s potato salad recipe. You:
A) Get her recipe, and follow it to the letter.
B) Tell him what he can do with his mama’s recipe.
C) Talk to his mom, and then create our own version of her recipe.
2. You find out that along with your husband’s family, his ex-girlfriend from community college will be there too. You:
A) Go, but make him miserable by rolling your eyes and discreetly giving him the finger.
B) Tell your fine ex-boyfriend from middle school to show up at your in-laws’ house.
C) Go and look so good, she leaves early.
3. You have everyone to your place for your first cookout as a couple. You:
A) Ask everyone to bring a dish so the pressure won’t lie solely on you and your husband.
B) Declare that you and your husband will take care of everything, and then yell at him the whole day because you’re a nervous wreck.
C) Have the event catered, be done by 6 and catch a movie alone with your boo.
If your answers are mostly A, you and your man are doing fine. Keep cooking at the same temperature.
If you answers are mostly C, you two will burn a few meals here and there, but remember, practice makes perfect.
If you answered mostly B, you and your spouse need to go back to Grilling 101. Your relationship is undercooked, and if you don’t get help, it’s gonna spoil or will need to be tossed out.
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31