The fact that spring is the most popular season for weddings may be a cruel trick because a lot of newlyweds are going to be forced to make some big decisions their first three-day weekend as a married couple. Last year, their biggest decision was probably which big holiday weekend movie they would see, and trust me, they will soon be yearning for those simple times.
Yes, newly married couples, you are about to get a pre-curser to the years of holiday hell that no one had the heart to warn you about.
Memorial Day weekend is nothing compared to Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it does allow you to find out what you’ve really gotten yourself into before those major events roll around.
Click here to hear Nikki Woods’ weekly “What in the Weekend?” report.
Usually the problem begins with a sentence as easy as this one: “Whose house are we going to for the holiday?”
There’s an exception to every rule, but in most cases, this question is as loaded as Bobby Brown at Happy Hour. If you did premarital counseling, (which is a little bit like a pregnant new mom asking what labor is like; you really just have to go through it to get it.) you probably discussed sex, money, trust, faith, but I’ll bet no one prepared you for the first holiday.
That’s what we’re here for.
So here’s a Mamas Gone Wild “Will You Have a Good Holiday?” Quiz.
1. Your husband asks you to get his mom’s potato salad recipe. You:
A) Get her recipe, and follow it to the letter.
B) Tell him what he can do with his mama’s recipe.
C) Talk to his mom, and then create our own version of her recipe.
2. You find out that along with your husband’s family, his ex-girlfriend from community college will be there too. You:
A) Go, but make him miserable by rolling your eyes and discreetly giving him the finger.
B) Tell your fine ex-boyfriend from middle school to show up at your in-laws’ house.
C) Go and look so good, she leaves early.
3. You have everyone to your place for your first cookout as a couple. You:
A) Ask everyone to bring a dish so the pressure won’t lie solely on you and your husband.
B) Declare that you and your husband will take care of everything, and then yell at him the whole day because you’re a nervous wreck.
C) Have the event catered, be done by 6 and catch a movie alone with your boo.
If your answers are mostly A, you and your man are doing fine. Keep cooking at the same temperature.
If you answers are mostly C, you two will burn a few meals here and there, but remember, practice makes perfect.
If you answered mostly B, you and your spouse need to go back to Grilling 101. Your relationship is undercooked, and if you don’t get help, it’s gonna spoil or will need to be tossed out.
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25