The fact that spring is the most popular season for weddings may be a cruel trick because a lot of newlyweds are going to be forced to make some big decisions their first three-day weekend as a married couple. Last year, their biggest decision was probably which big holiday weekend movie they would see, and trust me, they will soon be yearning for those simple times.
Yes, newly married couples, you are about to get a pre-curser to the years of holiday hell that no one had the heart to warn you about.
Memorial Day weekend is nothing compared to Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it does allow you to find out what you’ve really gotten yourself into before those major events roll around.
Click here to hear Nikki Woods’ weekly “What in the Weekend?” report.
Usually the problem begins with a sentence as easy as this one: “Whose house are we going to for the holiday?”
There’s an exception to every rule, but in most cases, this question is as loaded as Bobby Brown at Happy Hour. If you did premarital counseling, (which is a little bit like a pregnant new mom asking what labor is like; you really just have to go through it to get it.) you probably discussed sex, money, trust, faith, but I’ll bet no one prepared you for the first holiday.
That’s what we’re here for.
So here’s a Mamas Gone Wild “Will You Have a Good Holiday?” Quiz.
1. Your husband asks you to get his mom’s potato salad recipe. You:
A) Get her recipe, and follow it to the letter.
B) Tell him what he can do with his mama’s recipe.
C) Talk to his mom, and then create our own version of her recipe.
2. You find out that along with your husband’s family, his ex-girlfriend from community college will be there too. You:
A) Go, but make him miserable by rolling your eyes and discreetly giving him the finger.
B) Tell your fine ex-boyfriend from middle school to show up at your in-laws’ house.
C) Go and look so good, she leaves early.
3. You have everyone to your place for your first cookout as a couple. You:
A) Ask everyone to bring a dish so the pressure won’t lie solely on you and your husband.
B) Declare that you and your husband will take care of everything, and then yell at him the whole day because you’re a nervous wreck.
C) Have the event catered, be done by 6 and catch a movie alone with your boo.
If your answers are mostly A, you and your man are doing fine. Keep cooking at the same temperature.
If you answers are mostly C, you two will burn a few meals here and there, but remember, practice makes perfect.
If you answered mostly B, you and your spouse need to go back to Grilling 101. Your relationship is undercooked, and if you don’t get help, it’s gonna spoil or will need to be tossed out.
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30