“Where are you going, my little one, little one
Where are you going, my baby, my own?
Turn around and you’re two, turn around and you’re four
Turn around, and you’re a young man going out of my door …”
Those lyrics to a classic song, “Turn Around,” could bring a tear to any mother’s eye – that is, if moms like me had time to dwell on it between taking our kids to get haircuts, watching their soccer games and feeling like we can actually watch their feet growing.
“Mamas Gone Wild” guests Dr. Lawana Gladney and Tracy Madison speak from experience about getting their babies from the crib to college.
Click here for the latest episode of “Mamas Gone Wild.”
When you have young kids like I do, it’s difficult to even fathom that one day my home will be Lego-free.
But I remain hopeful.
As busy as my life is now with science projects, PTA and helping my nine-year-old discover his inner athlete, I’m assured by those who have passed this way already that these are the best times. And I think I know what they mean. After all, my boys are old enough to play independently and fix their own breakfasts and young enough for me to still have nothing but great expectations for their future. They’re healthy, smart, polite and handsome. The sex and drug talks that I know I must have are still at least months away, and they still think “shut up” is a bad word. It’s a beautiful thing.
But even when I’m told this is the easy period, I’m wise enough to recognize that each phase I go through with my boys is special and will be missed when it’s nothing but a memory. That doesn’t stop me, of course, from having those moments when I wonder if I’m the only mom in the world trying to squeeze 30 minutes of “me time” in what feels like a 48-hour day.
But in the end, I know, like any good parent, that children are an investment, and what we put into them now will determine who they will become as adults. And even with that, stuff still happens. The scariest part of parenting is the moment we come to grips with the fact that we’re never really done. Whether your “kid’ is five or 55, if you’re a caring parent, that child is still yours, and you will always share their joy and pain.
We can’t protect them from heartaches or guarantee they will never have money issues or that we will always be able to bail them out if they do. What we can do is instill in them the kind of faith that they can count on when we aren’t there for them.
Another thing we can do is give them a healthy start. As we wrap up “Take a Loved One to the Doctor” season on the “TJMS,” I encourage you to take your children for regular checkups to the doctor and dentist – and believe me, as a single mom, I get that it’s easier said than done. Between, work and school, it becomes a major juggling act. But somehow, we’ve got to make it a priority.
While I’m blessed to have health insurance that covers my children, even with that, the cost of prescriptions are no joke. And for people with no coverage, sadly, the emergency room is often their only option. I can imagine how it is for a parent to have to wait until their child is sick enough to require emergency care before they’re able to get the attention they need. I’ve experienced watching my child lay in a hospital bed while in the intensive care unit – and thought they were going to have to admit me right along with him.
But whether it is their spiritual, emotional or physical health, preventative behaviors are always the best. Not to make you feel like you’re in nursery school, but an apple a day really does keep the doctor away.
That’s the best I can do on five hours sleep, but if you’ve got tips, prayers, idioms or anything else to help moms like us get through the rough times, send them my way!
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30