“Where are you going, my little one, little one
Where are you going, my baby, my own?
Turn around and you’re two, turn around and you’re four
Turn around, and you’re a young man going out of my door …”
Those lyrics to a classic song, “Turn Around,” could bring a tear to any mother’s eye – that is, if moms like me had time to dwell on it between taking our kids to get haircuts, watching their soccer games and feeling like we can actually watch their feet growing.
“Mamas Gone Wild” guests Dr. Lawana Gladney and Tracy Madison speak from experience about getting their babies from the crib to college.
Click here for the latest episode of “Mamas Gone Wild.”
When you have young kids like I do, it’s difficult to even fathom that one day my home will be Lego-free.
But I remain hopeful.
As busy as my life is now with science projects, PTA and helping my nine-year-old discover his inner athlete, I’m assured by those who have passed this way already that these are the best times. And I think I know what they mean. After all, my boys are old enough to play independently and fix their own breakfasts and young enough for me to still have nothing but great expectations for their future. They’re healthy, smart, polite and handsome. The sex and drug talks that I know I must have are still at least months away, and they still think “shut up” is a bad word. It’s a beautiful thing.
But even when I’m told this is the easy period, I’m wise enough to recognize that each phase I go through with my boys is special and will be missed when it’s nothing but a memory. That doesn’t stop me, of course, from having those moments when I wonder if I’m the only mom in the world trying to squeeze 30 minutes of “me time” in what feels like a 48-hour day.
But in the end, I know, like any good parent, that children are an investment, and what we put into them now will determine who they will become as adults. And even with that, stuff still happens. The scariest part of parenting is the moment we come to grips with the fact that we’re never really done. Whether your “kid’ is five or 55, if you’re a caring parent, that child is still yours, and you will always share their joy and pain.
We can’t protect them from heartaches or guarantee they will never have money issues or that we will always be able to bail them out if they do. What we can do is instill in them the kind of faith that they can count on when we aren’t there for them.
Another thing we can do is give them a healthy start. As we wrap up “Take a Loved One to the Doctor” season on the “TJMS,” I encourage you to take your children for regular checkups to the doctor and dentist – and believe me, as a single mom, I get that it’s easier said than done. Between, work and school, it becomes a major juggling act. But somehow, we’ve got to make it a priority.
While I’m blessed to have health insurance that covers my children, even with that, the cost of prescriptions are no joke. And for people with no coverage, sadly, the emergency room is often their only option. I can imagine how it is for a parent to have to wait until their child is sick enough to require emergency care before they’re able to get the attention they need. I’ve experienced watching my child lay in a hospital bed while in the intensive care unit – and thought they were going to have to admit me right along with him.
But whether it is their spiritual, emotional or physical health, preventative behaviors are always the best. Not to make you feel like you’re in nursery school, but an apple a day really does keep the doctor away.
That’s the best I can do on five hours sleep, but if you’ve got tips, prayers, idioms or anything else to help moms like us get through the rough times, send them my way!
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31