This week we lost two men that could be considered all of the above and then some.
Activist Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth is credited as being the soul of the civil rights movement and Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, who created technology the world never knew it needed but now can’t live without.
While they were two very different men, they had a similar goal – to improve upon a system that was both outdated and oppressive.
Stay with me while I connect the dots.
Reverend Shuttlesworth was one of the co-founders of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. Created in 1957, the organization led non-violent protests to end segregation in America. Although the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. served as president of the SCLC and was considered “the face” of the movement, Shuttlesworth laid the foundation. President Barack Obama said in a statement that Reverend Shuttlesworth was a “testament to the strength of the human spirit” and that “today we stand on his shoulders, and the shoulders of all those who marched and sat and lifted their voices to help perfect our union.”
Steve Jobs lived his life having made the conscious choice to step out into the unknown and challenge the status quo on his terms – not someone else’s. By example, he taught us that trusting yourself is the genius thing to do and that genius is something within us all, not something that only the special few have.
If you break it down to its most basic level, each of these men made a decision to make a difference in the way people were able to live their lives and then did whatever was necessary to ensure that it happened.
Both men were risk takers.
We are no different than they are. There comes a time in every person’s life where we can choose to either venture out into the wild unknown of our dreams or retreat back into the gentle comfort of the world we are familiar with.
Now granted, some people are born risk takers, and others may need some help but whatever makes you take the risk, whether the outcome is good or bad, you are always a better person after said risk has been taken.
Obviously, no one wants to be rejected and no one wants to fail but the important thing to remember is don’t shy away from the challenge – use it. Learn from it and get back out there.
In fact, the real risk is not in putting yourself out there, but in hiding what could ultimately be your gift and contribution to society.
Reverend Shuttlesworth and Steve Jobs probably had no idea the long lasting impact they would have on the world but they saw a need and took the necessary risks to fulfill it.
Now will you?
CLICK HERE for Nikki Woods’ weekly “What in the Weekend” report.
CLICK HERE for the latest episode of “Mamas Gone Wild.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30