On Monday, when Dr. Mehmet Oz dropped by the Red Velvet Cake Studio, he talked about the importance of being or becoming comfortable with our naked selves. So many of us are so critical and even ashamed of our bodies that we choose just to ignore it.
Not good, says Dr. Oz.
We can learn a lot from frequently visually examining our bodies top to bottom, front to back. When we do that, we’re more likely to notice changes that could have an impact on our overall health.
Click here to hear Nikki Woods’ “What in the Weekend?” report.
In most circles, certainly ours in the studio, the men had fewer reservations about letting it all hang out. The women, though, for all different reasons, had conditions on when and where sheer nakedness was acceptable.
One person just felt good about certain parts of her body being exposed, but wasn’t crazy about the total package.
Another woman said she’s okay with her imperfect body, and her husband is too, but she gets uncomfortable when her husband comments about it too much.
I have no problem with being naked, but as my two boys get older, I’m finding it harder and harder carving out my naked time. Recently, I was in MY room, in MY closet, in only a bra and panties, trying to find something to wear. My youngest son burst into the room, quickly covered his eyes while shrieking, “I didn’t see that one coming!” It makes me very sad to think I have to wait until my sons leave for college to stroll around my house in the buff.
I think a lot of women fail to realize that some of the areas of our body that we may be self-conscious about, a lot of men are perfectly fine with. We talk ourselves into not accepting what’s good about us sometimes based on other people’s standards – the media, our friends, chicks at the gym and even our doctors. If most black women I know got down to the weights our doctors say we should be, we would probably look sickly … forget about being sexy.
So, Get Naked Friday is all about loving your self enough to stare your body down and get to know yourself on another level – and appreciating all of your unique curves, valleys, hills and plains, all of the wonderfully unique things about you that make you special.
But I want to take nakedness a step further. How about examining not just our bodies in a closer way, but our hearts, minds and spirits too? How about our friendships and relationships with our spouses and family members? How naked are you willing to get, figuratively speaking?
Actress Taraji P. Henson said that she would rather go naked than wear fur, as the PETA saying goes. And she did – get naked, that is – as the most recent celeb to pose sans clothing for the animal rights organization. Taraji stripped down for a cause that was important to her.
How many of us would do the same?
Honesty and truth equals freedom, and the more layers we’re willing to shed, the closer we can get to who God intended us to be.
Just finding the courage to confront our own naked selves is a good start. Looking inside and shedding some layers is a better one. Who knows what we’ll uncover?
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
29 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 29
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 29
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 29
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 29
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 29
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 29
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 29
8. new new
8 of 29
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 29
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 29
11 of 29
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 29
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 29
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 29
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 29
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 29
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 29
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 29
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 29
20 of 29
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 29
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 29
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 29
24. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
24 of 29
25. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
25 of 29
26. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
26 of 29
27. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
27 of 29
28. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
28 of 29
29. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
29 of 29