On Monday, when Dr. Mehmet Oz dropped by the Red Velvet Cake Studio, he talked about the importance of being or becoming comfortable with our naked selves. So many of us are so critical and even ashamed of our bodies that we choose just to ignore it.
Not good, says Dr. Oz.
We can learn a lot from frequently visually examining our bodies top to bottom, front to back. When we do that, we’re more likely to notice changes that could have an impact on our overall health.
Click here to hear Nikki Woods’ “What in the Weekend?” report.
In most circles, certainly ours in the studio, the men had fewer reservations about letting it all hang out. The women, though, for all different reasons, had conditions on when and where sheer nakedness was acceptable.
One person just felt good about certain parts of her body being exposed, but wasn’t crazy about the total package.
Another woman said she’s okay with her imperfect body, and her husband is too, but she gets uncomfortable when her husband comments about it too much.
I have no problem with being naked, but as my two boys get older, I’m finding it harder and harder carving out my naked time. Recently, I was in MY room, in MY closet, in only a bra and panties, trying to find something to wear. My youngest son burst into the room, quickly covered his eyes while shrieking, “I didn’t see that one coming!” It makes me very sad to think I have to wait until my sons leave for college to stroll around my house in the buff.
I think a lot of women fail to realize that some of the areas of our body that we may be self-conscious about, a lot of men are perfectly fine with. We talk ourselves into not accepting what’s good about us sometimes based on other people’s standards – the media, our friends, chicks at the gym and even our doctors. If most black women I know got down to the weights our doctors say we should be, we would probably look sickly … forget about being sexy.
So, Get Naked Friday is all about loving your self enough to stare your body down and get to know yourself on another level – and appreciating all of your unique curves, valleys, hills and plains, all of the wonderfully unique things about you that make you special.
But I want to take nakedness a step further. How about examining not just our bodies in a closer way, but our hearts, minds and spirits too? How about our friendships and relationships with our spouses and family members? How naked are you willing to get, figuratively speaking?
Actress Taraji P. Henson said that she would rather go naked than wear fur, as the PETA saying goes. And she did – get naked, that is – as the most recent celeb to pose sans clothing for the animal rights organization. Taraji stripped down for a cause that was important to her.
How many of us would do the same?
Honesty and truth equals freedom, and the more layers we’re willing to shed, the closer we can get to who God intended us to be.
Just finding the courage to confront our own naked selves is a good start. Looking inside and shedding some layers is a better one. Who knows what we’ll uncover?
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31