The sad saga of the very public divorce of former NFL star and current sports analyst Deion Sanders has, of course, recently been all over the news.
Last week, the mug shots of his estranged wife, Pilar Sanders, were plastered all over the internet and other media as she was booked on simple assault charges. Not long after, Sanders himself was cited, but not arrested, on similar charges, each of them claiming they were assaulted by the other.
Yes, unfortunately relationships can really go bad sometimes. And for media personalities, it’s even worse because most of us don’t have to worry about our broken relationships being captured on the 6 o’clock news or posted on Youtube.
That said, although I don’t want to rehash the sordid details of their break up, I will say that Deion himself is, at least, partly to blame for the current media coverage because of his strategic use of the social networking tool, Twitter.
To recap, as most of you know, Sanders tweeted about the alleged confrontation between him and his wife just after it occurred, saying, among other things, “She’s going to jail. I’m pressing charges!”
The NFL Hall of Famer later tweeted he was upset that his two sons were involved in the incident and attached a photo of the three of them filling out the paperwork for a police report. He added: “Thank God for this Twitter platform to issue the Truth.”
Given his public image, his employment as a well-paid NFL Network analyst, and the ongoing legal proceedings of the ugly divorce in which the two still shared the same house, Sanders was obviously using the social networking platform for damage control.
Has Twitter actually become a legal tool?
However, Sanders’ legal tweetment could potentially backfire on him since it could’ve violated a previous gag order imposed in the couple’s divorce proceedings.
In fact, “PrimeTime” has since deleted the tweets from his account and his lawyer recently and defensively suggested that the tweets were not a violation since Sanders “did not go to the press” to talk about his case.
Whether or not you buy this argument, the point is that we keep coming back to this growing influence of technology on our human interactions and we’re still figuring out how to navigate it socially, personally and legally.
We have already heard the stories of folks putting things on Facebook they probably shouldn’t have and losing job opportunities over it, or ‘stupid criminals’ talking about aspects of their crimes on the Internet.
But just how far will it go? Are we getting to the point where court cases will be decided by a jury of our Facebook peers? Will jury verdicts be tweeted as opposed to being read in person in court?
The implications are kind of stunning. Shoot us a text here at 64-64-64 to let us know if you feel Deion Sanders was justified in using Twitter to capture and publicize his confrontation with his estranged wife.
I’ll leave you with this R. Buckminster Fuller quote that points to the pitfalls of the fast-paced tech-driven world we’re living in:
“Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong reasons.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31