The sad saga of the very public divorce of former NFL star and current sports analyst Deion Sanders has, of course, recently been all over the news.
Last week, the mug shots of his estranged wife, Pilar Sanders, were plastered all over the internet and other media as she was booked on simple assault charges. Not long after, Sanders himself was cited, but not arrested, on similar charges, each of them claiming they were assaulted by the other.
Yes, unfortunately relationships can really go bad sometimes. And for media personalities, it’s even worse because most of us don’t have to worry about our broken relationships being captured on the 6 o’clock news or posted on Youtube.
That said, although I don’t want to rehash the sordid details of their break up, I will say that Deion himself is, at least, partly to blame for the current media coverage because of his strategic use of the social networking tool, Twitter.
To recap, as most of you know, Sanders tweeted about the alleged confrontation between him and his wife just after it occurred, saying, among other things, “She’s going to jail. I’m pressing charges!”
The NFL Hall of Famer later tweeted he was upset that his two sons were involved in the incident and attached a photo of the three of them filling out the paperwork for a police report. He added: “Thank God for this Twitter platform to issue the Truth.”
Given his public image, his employment as a well-paid NFL Network analyst, and the ongoing legal proceedings of the ugly divorce in which the two still shared the same house, Sanders was obviously using the social networking platform for damage control.
Has Twitter actually become a legal tool?
However, Sanders’ legal tweetment could potentially backfire on him since it could’ve violated a previous gag order imposed in the couple’s divorce proceedings.
In fact, “PrimeTime” has since deleted the tweets from his account and his lawyer recently and defensively suggested that the tweets were not a violation since Sanders “did not go to the press” to talk about his case.
Whether or not you buy this argument, the point is that we keep coming back to this growing influence of technology on our human interactions and we’re still figuring out how to navigate it socially, personally and legally.
We have already heard the stories of folks putting things on Facebook they probably shouldn’t have and losing job opportunities over it, or ‘stupid criminals’ talking about aspects of their crimes on the Internet.
But just how far will it go? Are we getting to the point where court cases will be decided by a jury of our Facebook peers? Will jury verdicts be tweeted as opposed to being read in person in court?
The implications are kind of stunning. Shoot us a text here at 64-64-64 to let us know if you feel Deion Sanders was justified in using Twitter to capture and publicize his confrontation with his estranged wife.
I’ll leave you with this R. Buckminster Fuller quote that points to the pitfalls of the fast-paced tech-driven world we’re living in:
“Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong reasons.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25