Yesterday, President Barack Obama officially announced his intentions to run for re-election in 2012. In light of all the turmoil going on around the world, he did it quietly, without fanfare. So, in between re-capping the foolishness of Sunday night’s “Celebrity Apprentice” and commemorating the 43rd anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination, we slipped in a slice of history … as though an African-American president deciding to run for second term was pretty ordinary.
We should be celebrating the fact that the president is standing strong, facing adversity and moving forward to complete his mission. But instead, it almost seems a lot of the people who were caught up in the hype in 2008 have taken a wait-and-see attitude when it comes to the Big Chief. They haven’t left the team; they just aren’t cheering as loudly anymore. Instead of showing up for the pre-season games, they’ll be there for the play-offs – and the finals if we make it.
I get that mentality. Whether it’s the NCAA tournament or “Dancing with the Stars,” I don’t get interested until it gets down to the wire. But we aren’t talking about an athletic event or a reality show. The president needs us now. “It Begins with Us” may not be the most exciting campaign slogan you’ve ever heard, but it is one of the truest. It absolutely begins with us. “Us” includes everyone who believed enough in this president to not only cast our votes for him, but to make a pact with him when he honestly admitted on election night that he couldn’t turn this thing around in one term.
Like any commander-in-chief, President Obama has been forced to take the blame for events and situations that were beyond his control. He inherited a huge national debt, two wars, and a horrible economy. Add to that the BP oil spill, earthquake in Haiti, the tsunami in Japan, the unrest in Libya, skyrocketing prices of gasoline and food, and the list goes on and on. Would these have happened if Sen. John McCain or Sec. of State Hillary Clinton had been elected president? Probably so. Is the president unfairly being blamed for all that’s gone wrong? Probably so. But dwelling on that gets us nowhere.
The president has done a lot of things right, but as he faces the lowest approval rating numbers of his election, people seem to be more interested in kicking him while he’s down. The honeymoon is over, and some are ready to throw in the towel.
On the other hand, those of us who support the president need to be willing to accept that every observation about him doesn’t have to be positive, and we don’t need to turn against any and every person who has a critical word to say about him. The president doesn’t need zealots who blindly go along with every move he makes. (Well, actually, he does need those people if they’re voters.) Like so many of you, I believed President Obama would end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but here we are, about to become involved in yet a third war. It isn’t a good look. But we can’t be suckered into believing that we are living in the worst times in history either.
Much like the president, we need to breathe, regroup, and get ready for a big fight. We need to dig deep and find that fire within to rally the troops. We need to be registering voters, educating them and letting them know exactly what it takes to get the president re-elected, and what itmeans if we don’t. We’ve already made history, and no one can take that away. Now it’s about more than that. Yes, it’s about preserving the president’s legacy, but more importantly, it’s about deciding the kind of America we want to live in.
If we believe that President Obama can bring us that America, then we need to get on board, and we can’t wait until November 2012. That’s too late. This thing needs to go down right now. It really does begin with us.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30