I think we all have something we need to do, and we’re being held off by fear, procrastination, stubbornness – or all of the above.
As you know, I recently had hip replacement surgery that I’ve needed for a while (And thank you so much to those of you who sent me well wishes and prayers!). Now that I’ve done it, I’m grateful, thankful and couldn’t be more pleased about how well I feel. In fact, I feel better than I’ve felt in years. I had lived with the pain so long that it was starting to feel normal.
It got me to thinking – and yes, I have more time to sit and think than usual – about all the people out there who are living with some kind of situation or issue that can and should be changed. It could be that you need to go back to school, that you’ve outgrown your job or even possibly a relationship … it doesn’t matter. What does matter is that you realize that if you want your situation to change, you’ve got to change it. Just hoping and wishing for something different isn’t enough.
I realized, after having my surgery, that everything happens when it does and the way it does for a reason. I may have waited longer than I should have to get the procedure, but that’s okay. I was able to learn how much pain I could endure, and I can appreciate the way I feel now, probably more than I would have if I’d had it years ago.
So, if you’re like me and have been going through something, this might be your day to take a step forward. You might feel like it’s too late; I promise you, it isn’t. If it’s a job, a situation at the house, or a medical condition, there’s always an option. If you want to enroll in school, let me suggest HBCUsOnline.com. Change seems scary now, but a wise person once said fear is a natural emotion. Don’t let it paralyze you.
If you’re afraid of a challenge, just do it afraid. When it’s over, that feeling will be replaced with confidence, relief and sometimes even joy. Your only obligation after that is to be thankful. And I believe me, I am. But if you do nothing, your situation will only get worse.
You know, I’m a just a DJ, so my advice is for you to put on your most motivating music – songs like “Make that Move,” “Stand,” “Jump to It,” “Get Your Freak On,” “Let’s Work,” “Control,” “Atomic Dog” – and decide to take one step forward. Let me know what song motivates you and how it’s helped you get through something. It could be an inspiration to someone else. When I get back in the Big Chair in January, I promise I’ll play a few of them.
And is it just me, or is there a lack of new-school encouraging music? Well, I guess you have to count Kelly Rowland’s “Motivation!”
Talk to you later!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31