I think we all have something we need to do, and we’re being held off by fear, procrastination, stubbornness – or all of the above.
As you know, I recently had hip replacement surgery that I’ve needed for a while (And thank you so much to those of you who sent me well wishes and prayers!). Now that I’ve done it, I’m grateful, thankful and couldn’t be more pleased about how well I feel. In fact, I feel better than I’ve felt in years. I had lived with the pain so long that it was starting to feel normal.
It got me to thinking – and yes, I have more time to sit and think than usual – about all the people out there who are living with some kind of situation or issue that can and should be changed. It could be that you need to go back to school, that you’ve outgrown your job or even possibly a relationship … it doesn’t matter. What does matter is that you realize that if you want your situation to change, you’ve got to change it. Just hoping and wishing for something different isn’t enough.
I realized, after having my surgery, that everything happens when it does and the way it does for a reason. I may have waited longer than I should have to get the procedure, but that’s okay. I was able to learn how much pain I could endure, and I can appreciate the way I feel now, probably more than I would have if I’d had it years ago.
So, if you’re like me and have been going through something, this might be your day to take a step forward. You might feel like it’s too late; I promise you, it isn’t. If it’s a job, a situation at the house, or a medical condition, there’s always an option. If you want to enroll in school, let me suggest HBCUsOnline.com. Change seems scary now, but a wise person once said fear is a natural emotion. Don’t let it paralyze you.
If you’re afraid of a challenge, just do it afraid. When it’s over, that feeling will be replaced with confidence, relief and sometimes even joy. Your only obligation after that is to be thankful. And I believe me, I am. But if you do nothing, your situation will only get worse.
You know, I’m a just a DJ, so my advice is for you to put on your most motivating music – songs like “Make that Move,” “Stand,” “Jump to It,” “Get Your Freak On,” “Let’s Work,” “Control,” “Atomic Dog” – and decide to take one step forward. Let me know what song motivates you and how it’s helped you get through something. It could be an inspiration to someone else. When I get back in the Big Chair in January, I promise I’ll play a few of them.
And is it just me, or is there a lack of new-school encouraging music? Well, I guess you have to count Kelly Rowland’s “Motivation!”
Talk to you later!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30