During Black History Month, we tend to get more reflective about how far we’ve come and how far we still need to go to reach the kind of equity the civil rights soldiers fought for.
The answer depends on who you ask and what kind of day we’re having. Point to the election of President Barack Obama and the role African-Americans played in getting him elected, things look pretty good. Point to the hatred and plain old disrespect that’s been thrown his way since he’s been in office, the picture looks bleaker.
The big divides in technology, health issues, education and wealth are still wide, and even though we’ve made inroads, it still feels like sometimes we’re fighting the exact same battles as we were fighting 50 years ago. But we press forward. If we don’t, we give up – and that isn’t an option.
When we measure what we do to bring about change as individuals or as a collective body – through our churches, fraternities and sororities, jobs, etc. – some of us can feel pretty good. The TJMS, BlackAmericaWeb.com and the Tom Joyner Foundation, under the umbrella of Reach Media, has addressed many of the issues that plague our communities. The goal has not only been to help solve the problems, but to empower our listeners so that they will have the tools to make a positive difference in whatever ways they can. “Take a Loved One to the Doctor,” the BlackAmericaWeb.com Relief Fund and our collaboration with the NAACP’s Voter Hotline were all vehicles for helping our listeners become pro-active and accountable.
At the root of many of the problems typically associated with African-Americans is a kind of financial bondage that keeps us from prospering, even when we’re employed. Bad credit, living from check to check and paying exorbitant interest fees on loans all keep us from getting ahead.
The launch of the Reach Card a couple of weeks ago is one avenue that hopefully can help some “unbanked” consumers gain some level of financial freedom.
Now, for some critics – namely a serial texter who sends multiple messages daily – pre-paid cards are a way for companies to take advantage of people, bombarding them with fees in order to get access to their money. No doubt that cards like that are out there, but that doesn’t have to be the case. As pointed out by financial advisor Mellody Hobson, all pre-paid cards aren’t created equal. Some are more consumer-friendly than others, she says.
The key is to weigh your options as more and more of these kinds products begin to enter the market – the latest one from the U.S. government.
According to a recent article in The Washington Post, this week, the United States Treasury will send out letters to 600,000 people encouraging them to sign up to get their tax returns on a new pre –paid card (They should have called it the “Uncle Sam’s Card.”).
All this tells me is that the more than 20 percent of black households that don’t use banks are being courted by lots of entities, and if you’re in that number, for whatever reason, there are some viable choices you can make.
Before you make a move, though, get as much information as you can so that you can make an informed decision you’ll feel good about. Making a purchase only to regret it later, feeling forced into spending money you don’t have or being fooled into getting something that left you worse off than you were before you bought it are all horrible affects most of us have dealt with at some point in our lives.
When it comes to prepaid cards, what’s most important to you? If you want to be able to add money to the card for free, check your balance for free, call customer service reps for free, this is where the Reach Card is different than most other cards. Any time you want to have a direct deposit – whether it’s a paycheck, or even a government check, like a tax return – it can be added to your prepaid card. And that’s free too! You just need to request it.
The information is available. Read up, make a check list, comparison shop, and do what’s best for you as you get a step closer to financial empowerment.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30