The search for a missing Missouri woman’s family has caused the loss of their entire life savings and home. A promising lead by a man about the whereabouts of Phoenix Coldon turned out to be a cruel hoax.
“Unfortunately, we will now be losing our family home,” the missing woman’s mother, Goldia Coldon, told The Huffington Post. “We have tried to explain the situation to our mortgage company but they don’t care.”
After investing much of their money to search for Phoenix, Goldia Coldon said, she spent the remainder of their savings on private investigators to follow up on the lead. The man who provided the tip admitted he fabricated the story after the family’s money was gone. Authorities say the man admitted that he made the story up to get attention but have no grounds to prosecute him.
23-year-old Phoenix, a regional fencing champion and piano player, was last seen in her vehicle in the driveway of the family’s St. Louis County home at about 3 p.m. Dec. 18.
“She is very responsible, very sweet, very athletic and very intelligent,” her mother said. The incident is very much out of Phoenix’s character, she adds.
On Jan. 1, Coldon’s family discovered the missing Chevy Blazer had been impounded at 6:23 p.m. the day she disappeared, 25 minutes away from her home, at Ninth and St. Clair in East St. Louis. Authorities say the car was discovered still running with the keys were in the ignition and driver’s door open. Despite these facts, the car had been towed and entered into the police computer as an abandoned vehicle.
“I just wish those police had done what they were supposed to do by running those plates and seeing that the vehicle was registered to me,” Goldia Coldon said. “All they had to do is call and say, ‘do you know where your vehicle is?’ And, look where it was found. Why didn’t they check around the area to make sure somebody was not injured or passed out nearby? Why did we have to learn from someone else where our vehicle was?”
“According to the officer, he did not do an inventory sheet because there was nothing in the car,” she said. “That was not true. When we checked the vehicle at the impound there (were) lots of things in it, including her glasses, her purse with her driver’s license and her shoes.”
The disappearance of Phoenix Colden is similar to the December 2011 disappearance of 36-year-old Stacey English in Atlanta. English was last seen alive on or about Christmas Day.
On Jan. 23, English’s body was found under a tree in a heavily wooded area about a mile from where police found her car. Her death has ruled accidental.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25