I have been tuning into Money Mondays since the New Year and find your tips useful and very easy to understand. A few of your segments touched upon investing, which sparked my interest to learn more. How do I begin educating myself? – Monique, Jacksonville, FL
First, thank you for the positive feedback. I am delighted that you find the tips useful. The best way for Monique to educate herself on investing is by hitting the books! And what better summer past-time is there than reading?
That said, the thought of reading books with business and investing focuses may sound daunting, but it does not have to be. In fact, you might be surprised to learn how many fascinating books – real page turners – exist that offer valuable insights, regardless of your business or investing experience. I’ll start by talking about four books with an investment focus.
1. “A Random Walk Down Wall Street,” by Burton Malkiel. This terrific read provides a great foundation for those new to investing. Whether you plan to manage your own investments or work with a financial advisor, this book teaches the fundamentals of evaluating a wide range of investments, from stocks and bonds to real estate and collectibles.
2. “Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist,” by Warren Buffett. Warren Buffett also known as the “Oracle of Omaha,” is one of the greatest investors of our time! His book gives you the inside scoop on who he is professionally and personally. Specifically, the reader learns valuable insights on his investment philosophy and who he is as a person – from his early career, his marriage and philosophy on child rearing.
3. “One Up on Wall Street,” by Peter Lynch. Lynch, another superstar investor, employs an investment approach similar to Warren Buffett. In this book, Lynch provides his perspective on how he built a tremendous track record as the portfolio manager of Fidelity’s multibillion-dollar Magellan Fund. Additionally, you will learn about his investment philosophy, which is based on the idea that people can reap significant rewards by investing in companies with easy-to-understand products that are encountered in everyday life.
4. “Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap … and Others Don’t,” by Jim Collins. This book reads like an investor’s road map. Collins does an incredible job of identifying and explaining the elements that take a company from, as the title implies, good to great. Most importantly, he talks about two things: Leadership quality and focus, which happen to be criteria that Ariel’s investment teams consider when evaluating companies for its portfolios.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31