I have been tuning into Money Mondays since the New Year and find your tips useful and very easy to understand. A few of your segments touched upon investing, which sparked my interest to learn more. How do I begin educating myself? – Monique, Jacksonville, FL
First, thank you for the positive feedback. I am delighted that you find the tips useful. The best way for Monique to educate herself on investing is by hitting the books! And what better summer past-time is there than reading?
That said, the thought of reading books with business and investing focuses may sound daunting, but it does not have to be. In fact, you might be surprised to learn how many fascinating books – real page turners – exist that offer valuable insights, regardless of your business or investing experience. I’ll start by talking about four books with an investment focus.
1. “A Random Walk Down Wall Street,” by Burton Malkiel. This terrific read provides a great foundation for those new to investing. Whether you plan to manage your own investments or work with a financial advisor, this book teaches the fundamentals of evaluating a wide range of investments, from stocks and bonds to real estate and collectibles.
2. “Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist,” by Warren Buffett. Warren Buffett also known as the “Oracle of Omaha,” is one of the greatest investors of our time! His book gives you the inside scoop on who he is professionally and personally. Specifically, the reader learns valuable insights on his investment philosophy and who he is as a person – from his early career, his marriage and philosophy on child rearing.
3. “One Up on Wall Street,” by Peter Lynch. Lynch, another superstar investor, employs an investment approach similar to Warren Buffett. In this book, Lynch provides his perspective on how he built a tremendous track record as the portfolio manager of Fidelity’s multibillion-dollar Magellan Fund. Additionally, you will learn about his investment philosophy, which is based on the idea that people can reap significant rewards by investing in companies with easy-to-understand products that are encountered in everyday life.
4. “Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap … and Others Don’t,” by Jim Collins. This book reads like an investor’s road map. Collins does an incredible job of identifying and explaining the elements that take a company from, as the title implies, good to great. Most importantly, he talks about two things: Leadership quality and focus, which happen to be criteria that Ariel’s investment teams consider when evaluating companies for its portfolios.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25