It is time for students around the country to go back to school, and everywhere they will be receiving advice on how to have a successful academic year. But what about their parents?
The most empowered student’s overall growth will be drastically affected by what happens after she or he comes home from school. Parents who can create the kind of environment that supports education will simultaneous create students who are empowered. Our community needs to focus some concentrated effort to engage parents this year so that can start and end the school year as strong, if not stronger, than their kids.
So, I have put together a list of things that parents can do to get straight A’s.
1. Aspire. Aspire to dream big enough to allow your child to dream for themselves. Supporting their dreams is not dreaming for them.
2. Abolish. That’s in “abolish negative thinking.” No matter what your child did last year, last month or even during the summer, now is the chance for a new start. Make sure they feel that way too. THIS IS A NEW BEGINNING! Positive energy creates positive outcomes.
3. Above. See above the garbage. If you have tower vision, you can see beyond the horizon for your child. See (by learning) the things that they need to do before its time to do them – everything from SAT prep and financial aid forms to projects and reports. Don’t allow the day-to-day stress get in the way of seeing what this year is really about. Progress to the next level of your child’s life.
4. Abundance. Give ALL you have. Your abundance of effort can sometimes make up for a lack of time. Give in the places you can, and refuse to give nothing in the places that you have little. Your abundance will translate to you child.
5. Adapt. Everything this year will not go the way you plan or expect it. Roll with the punches so that your child won’t skip a beat. If that test score is bad, hold him or her accountable, but roll with it to figure out what can be done to improve. Adapting to your child’s challenges gives you insight on how you can better provide support.
6. Admit. Admit what you do not know. Parents are not perfect, and it is a blessing to be able to admit it. When you admit what you don’t know, you open the door to identify someone who CAN help your child figure it out, from mentors to tutors to parent coaches. (Yes, we all need some coaching; some of us call those coaches “grandparents!”) You will empower your child in and out of the classroom by sometimes getting out of the way.
7. Adore. Adore your children. This goes beyond love. On the best of days, love is not the issue. Do they feel special? On the days that the rest of the world has beat them up (and for some kids, they feel like that all the time), home should be where they feel not just loved, but adored, special … amazing. The little moments we take to provide self esteem at home will give them power when they are away.
There are so many other things that parents can do, so let’s hear them. My off the hook, show up at the school, checking homework, don’t-let-’em-get-away-with-nothing parents, let me hear from you. Give me one suggestion you would give to parents trying to move their kids to the next level while staying sane themselves.
Until the next time, love you, family. And that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31