It is time for students around the country to go back to school, and everywhere they will be receiving advice on how to have a successful academic year. But what about their parents?
The most empowered student’s overall growth will be drastically affected by what happens after she or he comes home from school. Parents who can create the kind of environment that supports education will simultaneous create students who are empowered. Our community needs to focus some concentrated effort to engage parents this year so that can start and end the school year as strong, if not stronger, than their kids.
So, I have put together a list of things that parents can do to get straight A’s.
1. Aspire. Aspire to dream big enough to allow your child to dream for themselves. Supporting their dreams is not dreaming for them.
2. Abolish. That’s in “abolish negative thinking.” No matter what your child did last year, last month or even during the summer, now is the chance for a new start. Make sure they feel that way too. THIS IS A NEW BEGINNING! Positive energy creates positive outcomes.
3. Above. See above the garbage. If you have tower vision, you can see beyond the horizon for your child. See (by learning) the things that they need to do before its time to do them – everything from SAT prep and financial aid forms to projects and reports. Don’t allow the day-to-day stress get in the way of seeing what this year is really about. Progress to the next level of your child’s life.
4. Abundance. Give ALL you have. Your abundance of effort can sometimes make up for a lack of time. Give in the places you can, and refuse to give nothing in the places that you have little. Your abundance will translate to you child.
5. Adapt. Everything this year will not go the way you plan or expect it. Roll with the punches so that your child won’t skip a beat. If that test score is bad, hold him or her accountable, but roll with it to figure out what can be done to improve. Adapting to your child’s challenges gives you insight on how you can better provide support.
6. Admit. Admit what you do not know. Parents are not perfect, and it is a blessing to be able to admit it. When you admit what you don’t know, you open the door to identify someone who CAN help your child figure it out, from mentors to tutors to parent coaches. (Yes, we all need some coaching; some of us call those coaches “grandparents!”) You will empower your child in and out of the classroom by sometimes getting out of the way.
7. Adore. Adore your children. This goes beyond love. On the best of days, love is not the issue. Do they feel special? On the days that the rest of the world has beat them up (and for some kids, they feel like that all the time), home should be where they feel not just loved, but adored, special … amazing. The little moments we take to provide self esteem at home will give them power when they are away.
There are so many other things that parents can do, so let’s hear them. My off the hook, show up at the school, checking homework, don’t-let-’em-get-away-with-nothing parents, let me hear from you. Give me one suggestion you would give to parents trying to move their kids to the next level while staying sane themselves.
Until the next time, love you, family. And that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30