There’s a lot of unrest abroad, at home, dissention in the air.
And, of course, over the past week, we’ve been rocked by a number of high profile deaths… civil rights activist and professor, Derrick Bell, civil rights activist and pastor, Fred Shuttlesworth, and technologist Steve Jobs.
We’re living in pretty tumultuous times with so many things coming at us on a daily basis that can often leave us overwhelmed, unfocused or unclear. In fact, the protests that started a few weeks back in New York’s Liberty Plaza and that are growing around the country under the name ‘Occupy Wall Street’ have been criticized by a number of media outlets who claim the protestors are ‘taking on too much,’ or that they lack leadership, a clear vision and a singular focus.
I actually think such criticism misses the point. While the protestors generally claim to represent the “99%” or the vast majority of Americans suffering from the inequitable policies of our financial and political institutions, at least one message is coming across very clear.
People are fed up and things have got to change. And this message, if nothing else, is crystal clear.
What is also clear is that these protests are starting to actually look more like 99% of America. More African Americans and Latinos have recently been joining in, as have a number of unions.
A few days ago, a new group called Occupy the Hood joined in the mix after its organizers saw the lack of representation of people of color. The just-formed group already has close to 4,000 followers on Twitter, (@OccupyTheHood), which makes sense given that the group’s organizers have pointed out that inequitable policies on Wall Street and in the banking industry have had an especially tragic impact on communities of color in the form of foreclosures, defaulted loans, joblessness and depressed local economies.
So the dissention is real and it doesn’t look like it’s going to slow down any time soon, even if it takes on another form at some point. The energies and discontent brought about by years of economic neglect, political gridlock and corporate greed are upon us.
As a lawyer, of course, I am pledged through my profession to support law and order. But you’ve heard me say before, Tom, that if you want the people to value law and order, then law and order has to value the people.
The same goes for the major institutions in this country. Be they our banks, our political institutions, or our corporations. If they don’t respect the people, then the people won’t respect them.
Given that America was founded on such a revolutionary ideal –can you say “no taxation without representation”—it should not come as a major surprise that people are now taking to the streets to protest social inequity and a financial system that is clearly profiting while most Americans are clearly suffering and if many of us don’t have jobs, well then, guess what? It means more of us have the time to protest as well.
I’ll leave you with this 19th century Thomas Carlyle quote that still speaks to our modern condition:
“A man willing to work, and unable to find work, is perhaps the saddest sight that fortune’s inequality exhibits under this sun.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30