There’s a lot of unrest abroad, at home, dissention in the air.
And, of course, over the past week, we’ve been rocked by a number of high profile deaths… civil rights activist and professor, Derrick Bell, civil rights activist and pastor, Fred Shuttlesworth, and technologist Steve Jobs.
We’re living in pretty tumultuous times with so many things coming at us on a daily basis that can often leave us overwhelmed, unfocused or unclear. In fact, the protests that started a few weeks back in New York’s Liberty Plaza and that are growing around the country under the name ‘Occupy Wall Street’ have been criticized by a number of media outlets who claim the protestors are ‘taking on too much,’ or that they lack leadership, a clear vision and a singular focus.
I actually think such criticism misses the point. While the protestors generally claim to represent the “99%” or the vast majority of Americans suffering from the inequitable policies of our financial and political institutions, at least one message is coming across very clear.
People are fed up and things have got to change. And this message, if nothing else, is crystal clear.
What is also clear is that these protests are starting to actually look more like 99% of America. More African Americans and Latinos have recently been joining in, as have a number of unions.
A few days ago, a new group called Occupy the Hood joined in the mix after its organizers saw the lack of representation of people of color. The just-formed group already has close to 4,000 followers on Twitter, (@OccupyTheHood), which makes sense given that the group’s organizers have pointed out that inequitable policies on Wall Street and in the banking industry have had an especially tragic impact on communities of color in the form of foreclosures, defaulted loans, joblessness and depressed local economies.
So the dissention is real and it doesn’t look like it’s going to slow down any time soon, even if it takes on another form at some point. The energies and discontent brought about by years of economic neglect, political gridlock and corporate greed are upon us.
As a lawyer, of course, I am pledged through my profession to support law and order. But you’ve heard me say before, Tom, that if you want the people to value law and order, then law and order has to value the people.
The same goes for the major institutions in this country. Be they our banks, our political institutions, or our corporations. If they don’t respect the people, then the people won’t respect them.
Given that America was founded on such a revolutionary ideal –can you say “no taxation without representation”—it should not come as a major surprise that people are now taking to the streets to protest social inequity and a financial system that is clearly profiting while most Americans are clearly suffering and if many of us don’t have jobs, well then, guess what? It means more of us have the time to protest as well.
I’ll leave you with this 19th century Thomas Carlyle quote that still speaks to our modern condition:
“A man willing to work, and unable to find work, is perhaps the saddest sight that fortune’s inequality exhibits under this sun.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31