When Coach Dave Carasco started coming to visit the late Richard “Dickie” Wells, the age of black players being recruited in big numbers for white colleges had not yet dawned. It was just a couple years removed from the 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education decision that outlawed segregation in the public schools in America.
Wells’ high school teammate, the late Spotswood Bolling, was the lead plaintiff in Bolling vs. Board of Education, a lawsuit filed against Washington, D.C.’s segregated public schools system. And Carasco had a vision of a racially integrated basketball program at American University.
After several home visits and fried chicken dinners, he was able to convince Wells’ mother that her son, a star football and basketball player at D.C.’s Spingarn High School, was the right man to join Carasco in his quest.
On Saturday, 56 years after accepting the challenge to become a trailblazer, Wells – the first black player at American University and the first to play in the Mason-Dixon Conference – will be posthumously inducted into AU’s Stafford H. “Pop” Cassell Hall of Fame.
Dickie Wells made an on impact AU’s record books. He is second all-time at American University with 1,184 career rebounds, sixth and eighth with 433 and 412 rebounds in a single season, respectively, and ranks third with 16 free throws made in a single game at Towson State University.
Wells also was the school’s first player to receive All-American honors when he was named a Little College All-American Honorable Mention in 1958. He was also named an NCAA college Division Honorable Mention in 1960.
But what was especially remarkable is that he did it all amid heightened racial tension.
When a black student athlete considered going out of state to attend college, he could have easily been talking about American University. Wells grew up in the far Northeast section of D.C., near the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, which leads to points north, from Baltimore to New York City. AU, on the other hand, lies in the part of northwest Washington that is a gateway to Northern Virginia and points south.
It was a 2.5-hour ride each way to campus each day.
As a player, Wells was a tenacious rebounder and defender, according to his teammate and neighbor Andrew Johnson.
In addition, Johnson said, “He was unselfish and coachable,” often taking younger guys under his wing and helping them improve their athletic skills.
Sports commentator and talk show host Harold Bell was one of those young athletes who benefited from Wells’ unselfish behavior.
When I arrived at Spingarn, I was going to hell in a hurry, and he became my mentor,” Bell said.
Wells’ big brother, Ed, a basketball legend in his own right at Armstrong and North Carolina A&T University, remembered Carasco’s visits and the racial tensions of the time clearly.
During the first road game in the Mason-Dixon Conference, hundreds of placards – reading “N—– go home” or emblazoned with other vulgar ephitets directed at Wells and Carasco – littered the arena. Several black cats were released upon the floor, delaying the game, Ed Wells said.
The name calling and verbal abuse continued until Dickie Wells fouled out of the game early in the fourth quarter. The student body stood in unison, locked hands and rocked back and forth with eyes closed as the band played “Bye, Bye Black Bird.”
Each year, when AU returned to play that school, there was at least one more black player on the team, and the trash-talking and the singing diminished until Wells’ senior year, when at least four black players took the court.
That year, there was no “Bye, Bye Black Bird,” before, during or after the game.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading AU Basketball Pioneer Getting Posthumous Honor