When Coach Dave Carasco started coming to visit the late Richard “Dickie” Wells, the age of black players being recruited in big numbers for white colleges had not yet dawned. It was just a couple years removed from the 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education decision that outlawed segregation in the public schools in America.
Wells’ high school teammate, the late Spotswood Bolling, was the lead plaintiff in Bolling vs. Board of Education, a lawsuit filed against Washington, D.C.’s segregated public schools system. And Carasco had a vision of a racially integrated basketball program at American University.
After several home visits and fried chicken dinners, he was able to convince Wells’ mother that her son, a star football and basketball player at D.C.’s Spingarn High School, was the right man to join Carasco in his quest.
On Saturday, 56 years after accepting the challenge to become a trailblazer, Wells – the first black player at American University and the first to play in the Mason-Dixon Conference – will be posthumously inducted into AU’s Stafford H. “Pop” Cassell Hall of Fame.
Dickie Wells made an on impact AU’s record books. He is second all-time at American University with 1,184 career rebounds, sixth and eighth with 433 and 412 rebounds in a single season, respectively, and ranks third with 16 free throws made in a single game at Towson State University.
Wells also was the school’s first player to receive All-American honors when he was named a Little College All-American Honorable Mention in 1958. He was also named an NCAA college Division Honorable Mention in 1960.
But what was especially remarkable is that he did it all amid heightened racial tension.
When a black student athlete considered going out of state to attend college, he could have easily been talking about American University. Wells grew up in the far Northeast section of D.C., near the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, which leads to points north, from Baltimore to New York City. AU, on the other hand, lies in the part of northwest Washington that is a gateway to Northern Virginia and points south.
It was a 2.5-hour ride each way to campus each day.
As a player, Wells was a tenacious rebounder and defender, according to his teammate and neighbor Andrew Johnson.
In addition, Johnson said, “He was unselfish and coachable,” often taking younger guys under his wing and helping them improve their athletic skills.
Sports commentator and talk show host Harold Bell was one of those young athletes who benefited from Wells’ unselfish behavior.
When I arrived at Spingarn, I was going to hell in a hurry, and he became my mentor,” Bell said.
Wells’ big brother, Ed, a basketball legend in his own right at Armstrong and North Carolina A&T University, remembered Carasco’s visits and the racial tensions of the time clearly.
During the first road game in the Mason-Dixon Conference, hundreds of placards – reading “N—– go home” or emblazoned with other vulgar ephitets directed at Wells and Carasco – littered the arena. Several black cats were released upon the floor, delaying the game, Ed Wells said.
The name calling and verbal abuse continued until Dickie Wells fouled out of the game early in the fourth quarter. The student body stood in unison, locked hands and rocked back and forth with eyes closed as the band played “Bye, Bye Black Bird.”
Each year, when AU returned to play that school, there was at least one more black player on the team, and the trash-talking and the singing diminished until Wells’ senior year, when at least four black players took the court.
That year, there was no “Bye, Bye Black Bird,” before, during or after the game.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading AU Basketball Pioneer Getting Posthumous Honor