For those in the know, “Watch Out Deh Now” is more than a heed to action, it’s the trademark catcall for funnyman J. Anthony Brown. As a forerunner to today’s hot Black comedy scene, and one of the foremost kings of that comedy, J. Anthony Brown is finally receiving the accolades he so justly deserves. A staple on the nationally syndicated Tom Joyner Morning Show for over fifteen years now, he is one of the voices that wake up millions of radio listeners in over 105 markets.
J. Anthony Brown is a titanic comedic force! His sidesplitting antics and sensibilities have set a precedent that many now follow. Whether he is murdering the hits with his off key version of the latest song, or donning a pink pimp suit to evoke a laugh, Brown will get to your funny bone. His penchant for alligator shoes and rainbow colored suits convey his “party time” approach for fun.
“A lot of comics just do standup. But stand up is just one of the many facets of comedy. In my act, I ride the spectrum of funny. I’ll sing, incorporate skits and vignettes, do costume changes, and still tell you a joke,” reveals Brown. BET recognized the power of his comedic drive and therefore had him host two consecutive seasons of their top rated network show, “Comic View.” Revamped as “Club Comic View,” the show has been the network’s number one show for over 12 years. As testimony to the comedian’s draw power, his season had some of the comedy world’s biggest names grace the stage.
But it was Brown’s role as Pop on the WB Network’s Like Family, starring Holly Robinson Pete, which initially garnered the funny man his widest mainstream audience. That coupled with the hilarious “Champs” & “Burger King” television commercials, he was catapulted to the forefront of America’s viewing plate. The South Carolina native began his career by chance in 1972 after after relocating to Atlanta. He was originally pursuing a career as a clothing designer when $316 short of tuition money, he visited a local club and entered a gong show contest. The one time tailor was asked back to the venue, and later transformed it into a city hot spot as word of his natural wit traveled quickly.
Brown later left Atlanta for Hollywood, landing a job as head staff writer for the Arsenio Hall Show. An industry staple since, his impressive list of credits include hosting two consecutive seasons of Comic View, performances on Def Jam, It’s Showtime at the Apollo and Evening at the Improv. Writing credits include Tom Joyner TV Show, Steve Harvey’s Big Time, Me and The Boys, The Parent ‘Hood and the Arsenio Hall Show. Movie credits include Tripple X -State of the Union, Mr. 3000, Drumline & How to Be a Player. Television credits include Tom Joyner TV Show on ABC, Tom Joyner Sky Show on TV-One, Dlife-Diabetes Talk Show on CNBC, EVE, Steve Harvey’s Big Time, Like Family, The Parkers, Livin’ Single, The Parent ‘Hood, Martin, Moesha, The Hugley’s, Sparks, and even Oprah.
An innovative businessman as well as comedian, Brown has his own line of products that carry his name, including his own clothing line, “The J. Anthony Brown Collection,” honey and hot sauces, CD’s, and comedy videos. A creative artist and talented visionary, the comedian’s artwork has been featured along side Annie Lee in an art exhibit in Washington, DC in November 2005. In addition, Brown is a spokesperson for diabetes, a disease he manages personally. In 2005-2006 he was one of the co-host of Dlife, a diabetes talk show promoting healthy living with diabetes.
It’s a wonder Brown has the energy to laugh at a joke, much less tell one. With a daily routine that begins at 2:00 a.m. and continues non-stop, J. Anthony Brown is one of the industry’s hardest working comedians. He has helped to pave the way for today’s hottest talent and continues as a trailblazer with his comedic contributions. “Watch Out Deh Now” – J. Anthony Brown is one funny man!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31