Fans of the long-running TV soap opera The Young and the Restless are in shock this morning. Actor Kristoff St. John, who played the role of Neil Winters since 1991 was found dead this morning in his California home. He was 52.

People.com reports:

According to TMZ, there was no sign of foul play.

St. John’s son Julian died by suicide in 2014 at the age of 24. His ex-wife Mia St. John went on to found the El Sabor es Poder (Knowledge is Power) Foundation to battle mental illness.

In 2017, St. John, who has played Neil Winters on CBS’ The Young and the Restless since 1991, underwent psychiatric treatment after a reported scare regarding his mental health. According to TMZ, he threatened to kill himself with a gun and was placed under a 72-hour hold for psychiatric evaluation.

In a statement to Entertainment Tonight at the time, Mia blasted reports about the incident that led her ex to seek help.

“I want the world to know the truth about what is happening with Kristoff, because currently there is inaccurate, and fabricated information being reported by certain online outlets,” she said. “No parent should ever have to bury their child, and for those who do, it is a nightmare that haunts you forever. The death of our beloved son Julian has taken a toll on both of us. He is an actor and while he may appear whole on the outside, his heart is broken. As a society, we need to start taking mental health seriously and realize that no one is immune.”

St. John, a New York City native also played the role of the young Alex Haley in Roots: The Next Generation miniseries. He announced his engagement to model Kseniya Mikhaleva in 2018, according to People.com.

PHOTO: PR Photos

HEAD BACK TO THE BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM HOMEPAGE

Find Out What Your Fav Celebs Did On Instagram This Week (02/02-02/08)

37 thoughts on “‘Young And The Restless’ Star Kristoff St. John Dead At 52

1. Barbara Dates on said:

My heart goes out to hos family and friends, because he was a talented actor and is life was taken way too soon. Amen lord!!

2. Passing Through!! on said:

Date who you choose but there’s something wrong with a black person who ONLY dates white/other. If you’re a black person of color and can’t embrace someone who looks like you I have a problem with that. Yes Obama’s mother was white and he himself dated white women early in his life but he came to accept the fact the he looks black, sounds black and was treated like a black man, he married and had children with a woman of color. I’m willing to bet that Kristoff’s turmoil and hell came from his self hatred and he in turned passed this dysfunction on to his son who committed suicide. I’m sure it was pure hell trying to keep up his non-black persona to maintain a career in Hollywood. If you can’t embrace your black or love your black woman or man you’re bound for self-destruction. You might make it to the A list. Hollywood will reward you for selling-out but at what price? Apparently with 2 failed marriages and a 3rd fail in the works the white women didn’t make him happy either. The new race war today is endorsing the interracial agenda, The Rock, John Legend, Viola Davis won an Emmy for selling out in How to get away with murder, Kerry Washington had a big year for Sandal (white love interest) Halle Berry Oscar-screwing a white man on screen. Since they can’t kill us all fast enough the new agenda is help us breed ourselves out of existence.

• Wow…although we may not like who the man dated or married, I can’t believe you are blaming his death on ‘Race’ choices. Prayer’s not only for this man’s family and friends, but to YOU as well !

• Ted Gravely on said:

Passing Through -ssshhhh. They won’t ever get. Blacks are conditioned to care for others and embrace/accept things that lead to their own demise. The black woman supporting these lost idiots is mind boggling. Black women are abused and don’t know it. Remember the joke by Robin Harris telling the ugly woman he was going to the moon. She said, “well you be careful.” That’s like the black man telling the black woman, “I’m marrying this white woman, going to spend all my money in the white community, I’m never giving you anything, you better still love me, and kick rocks cause I don’t want to be seen with you.” Lost black woman, “well that’s okay baby, let me know if you need anything. Geez.

3. Melinda on said:

A human died and all some can see is that he married women based on love and who was in pain. In case you missed it president Obama was born from a white woman and raised by white grandparents. You all forgot about John Legend. Black is more then being one pigeonhole. Oh forgot about Shemar Moore who played his wonderful brother on young and restless. Test in peace Kristoff.😂

4. Its just awful to lose (Neil winters) kristoff. Im a faithful watcher of y & r. He will be missed!! My heart goes out to his family. The loss of his son broke him! Prayers ❤

5. Yvonne on said:

Black men and women get a grip. This is not about blacks marrying outside of our race. This is about mental illness and how we have failed as a culture to recognize it. Please let’s become knowledgeable on the effects this society has on our mental state.

• Passing Through!! on said:

Sometimes depression is physiological and sometimes it’s environmental self-inflicted caused by the things around us or the things we surround ourselves with. Probably 85% of celebrities who have depression, that depression is caused by the industry, standards, fame living a lie.

6. Ted Gravely on said:

Doomed USA and Passing Through, thanks for your feedback. D, I understand and not condemning you. If you’re black, I’m saying love and support those that love and support you back. You have a choice. I’m never opting out of who I am. All – – if you want some interesting commentary and dialogue, tune into Tunein Radio 1450 Newstalk. For those that are driving home from work, tune into the Carl Nelson Show. It’s on now – he has some thought provoking dialogue on this problem and more. No, I’m not Brother Carl. I do call in from time to time. lol

• @ted. I’m a proud blk women. I love my chocolate blk men. But it’s sad to see someone who’s life was shorten regardless of the circumstances. I’ve watched his interviews. He came off as a genuine person. I didn’t knw him personally but i watched him for yrs on Y&R. He was very popular and he will be missed.

7. Passing Through!! on said:

Thank you Ted Gravely…You took the words right out of my mouth. I googeled him and just like I expected he has a history of marrying nothing but white women.. Married twice to white women and currently engage to another white woman.. I don’t understand how any black woman could be attracted to, support or give their money to a black man who sleeps with nothing but white women (Jamie Fox, Omari Hardwick, Terrance Howard).. But let them have him he was obviously in some kind of state of dysfunction, multiple failed marriages, a son who committed suicide he’s no loss to the black community. Just to show you everything that glitters ain’t gold. Apparently even the selling out with the white girls didn’t bring him the happiness he was looking for. Sorry, no tears from me.

• Barbra Washington on said:

Really person!!! What does race have to do with someone suffering from depression… What does it matter who he loves??? I don’t understand your compassion ( none apparently) I mean loving a whatever women is what made him depressed enough to to commit suicide… Smh so sad the ppl in this country!! The man lost his son.. OMG!!

• Passing Through!! on said:

I’m sure his depression was self inflicted by his life choices. You’re right I have no compassion when I see him hugged up loving white women can’t help but wonder was his mental woes caused by his self hatred. And sometimes that dysfunction passes on the our children. It’s not genetic psychological illness but more of environmental situational chaos that a person lives in.

8. Connie Harris on said:

So sad to hear about one of my favorite stars 🌟
    Hope he finds peace on his new journey I will miss him
    Dearly. My deepest sympathy to his family and his TV family .

9. J. A-M on said:

I saw this coming after he lost his son. Soooo sad. Black men need to re-discover loving black women as a way to stay grounded.

10. So sad.
    The African American community needs to finally address the issue of “MENTAL HEALTH.”
    For some reason, this issue is on the “down low” just as other topics WE REFUSE to talk about.

There is NOTHING wrong with informing our doctors that we may be feeling depressed,
    or just not well mentally. Doctors can prescribe meds for bouts of anxiety, depression, etc.
    If it is a serious mental health issue, the doctor may refer you to a mental therapist
    for you to sit and discuss whatever your problems may be.

The “STIGMA” of mental health IS KILLING US. This does not have to be!!!!!

11. Christianforreal on said:

I’m not fawning either. His race or choice of races is irrelevant. I feel very sorry for him and wish he could’ve learned to deal with the pain and depression he felt. I personally find it very difficult to understand and even though I watched my Dad suffer with depression, I still have a limited understanding and find it difficult to understand and empathize with suicide. However, I pray that GOD will have MERCY on his soul when Judgement Day comes.

• Alexis on said:

Be very happy you have limited knowledge of depression and suicide. As someone who struggles with depression, dying consumes you and that is the part many people don’t understand. They say suicide is selfish but people don’t understand how death is on your mind every minute of everyday.

• Never be happy that you have limited knowledge about mental health or any other health issues. Learn all you can about all that you can and never limit your knowledge about anything.

12. Kimberly on said:

Kristoff St John you are with your son now..Rest now and be at peace🙏🏽😢 you have been missed for a while but your heart was broken as you tried to go on without your son. I can’t imagine😢😢 my heart and condolences to the family🙏🏽❤️

13. Kristoff ST John Was My Favorite Guy On Y&R, Neal Winters Was The Sexiest Guy In General City, It Just Wasn’t Be The Same Without Him, My Deepest Condolences To His Family, It’s Heartbreaking That People With Mental Illness Can’t Get The Help That Really Need To Cope With Their Illness, We Need To Do More To Help Them…R.I.H.P Kristoff, Gone But Not Forgotten.

14. Alicia Spears on said:

I can only imagine what it feels like to lose a child. My heart goes out to this family. Praying that God will see them through. For the ones that don’t know this mental illness “Depression ” you wouldn’t understand. I have worked with and around so many people diagnosed with this and other diagnoses similar to it. You have to know what it is to understand it.Let’s not be quick to judge someone.

15. Ted Gravely on said:

I should be sad, upset, caring…….I just can’t. Probably because I’m not a fawning woman. However, I pray for his living kids. I bet all y’all looking at him from the outside thought he had it going on. Non black women, curly haired kids who look darn near white and life was perfect. Nope. It must have been hell. Two divorces and a son that committed suicide. Now he checks out on all that “Kristoff” wanted. Hmmm. All that and he was still miserable. Black people, get your soul back and come home. They should take this down and talk about the death of Tiffany Smith. She was the beautiful wife of Texas GM Rick Smith. That brother stepped away from his job to care for her beautiful soul as she was succumbing to cancer. I know. That’s what a brother is supposed to do. We shouldn’t celebrate him for doing what he was supposed to do. We should show positive images of black marriages that are literally ending in til death do you part. Kristoff stopped being black in grade school. Throw dirt on him.

• Btw. I’m sad that he’s gone but I’m not fawning. He was going through a lot and I’m sorry he couldn’t overcome his grief. I have sympathy and empathy. I don’t care if he was half white or married one. I was a fan of his.

• Ted Gravely on said:

D – why are we conditioned to love people that don’t love you back? Understand……be a fan. I’m saying from my perspective. He’s not black. His actions say otherwise. Just like Omari Hardwick. They jump in and out of the black community for money. Our women are enamored with men that don’t love you. Why give them your dollars and time? I feel horrible for his living kids. Sorry I’m too cold for some folks, but I’m not going to soften my view just because someone died. Just like that rich man in hell. Father Abraham didn’t have mercy – no water and naw I’m not sending Lazarus. If they don’t believe fat meat is greasy, so be it. Let them also descend to hades.

• I was just a fan. I wasn’t in love with the man. I’m sorry he passed so tragically. I was a fan of Y&R before he was on the show and i will continue to be one.

• DoomedUSA on said:

I share your perspective and like your way of presenting it!! Black people are an interesting lot!! We talk about black pride, community and love for one another and often times when we reach certain pinnacles and/or have “other options”, we will drop one another in a NY minute!!

I have seen over and over how professional athletes, entertainers, CEOs, etc. will never date a black woman or a man or they will claim to “love themselves some black women/men” and next thing you know, they have married and/or had a baby with a nonblack person.

The bad thing is that this is not isolated but very rampant in our community. Yet, they expect us to support their industry/projects, etc. making them rich to take care of another white woman or black man in grand style and have the audacity to become outraged if someone ask them why they never seem to date or at least appear in public with a black woman/man!!

Absolutely appalling and hypocritical!! I feel sorry for Kristoff and his family but I have never seen him linked to a black woman and I have often wondered why that was the case. While it is his choice to date and marry outside of his race, was it that impossible to find a life partner in his race? Why the exclusion?

Is this now reverse racism as we look at all of these newfound tv ads touting interracial couples and their biracial children as if there is something inherently wrong or NOW RACIST about marrying/dating within your own race!!!

I think we need to watch how there seems to be a concerted effort to frame same race relationships as some kind of “New JIM Crow” thing and scrutinize where this is coming from and why!!!

Just check out the NBA/NFL draft and you will see so many young brothers already hooked up with nonblack women and with no shame whatsoever. Some, like the AP’s NFL Rookie Defensive Player of the Year, Darius Leonard, came out of a HBCU – SC State University in Orangeburg SC!! He even proposed to his white girlfriend on the football field. His girlfriend also attended the HBCU right across the yard – Claflin University.

You cannot tell me that there are not any black girls in their schools or communities!! Heck, they come from black families often times headed by single black mothers!!

Just wanted to laud you on your candor. Take care.

16. Sharon Jackson on said:

Sending my condolences to the family and friends. Sure going to miss this great kind hearted young man..Sure is was a great actor gonna miss his face from Young and the Restless..R.I.P.

17. Norma Villanueva on said:

I’m so sorry to hear as bout the passing of Kristoff St. John! He was a great actor for many years, and when you lose a love one; especially your child, I’m sure the pain is so much, and you never get over it! Sometimes some deal with loss differently! We need to pray for strength and guidance for all who are hurting due to a loss. My prayers goes out to his family! It’s such a terrible loss too, and he will truly be missed by so many!

18. I’m so hurt by his passing. He’s been going through it since his son died a few yrs ago. He hasn’t been the same since he came back onto the show last year. I was hoping he would heal from his son’s passing but apparently the grief was too much to bear. May he Rest In Peace 💔