Nick Cannon is responding to the furor over his collaboration with Chris Brown on the forthcoming women’s basketball film, She Ball.

Folks on social media take issue with Cannon’s decision to cast the singer because of his history of violence toward women.

Brown’s past includes a 2009 assault on Rihanna and a volatile split from Karrueche Tran that led to her receiving a restraining order against him.

Cannon, who will write, direct, and co-star in the film about women’s basketball, defended Breezy’s casting and said there’s a double standard with black men and the media.

Asked specifically about the Twitter reactions to Brown being cast in the film, Cannon brought up Sean Penn.

“They ever hate on his past?,” Cannon told TMZ, suggesting that white celebrities don’t endure the same scrutiny.

In regards to Breezy, Cannon added, “They want to turn a black man into a monster anytime they can.”

Watch below:

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

20 thoughts on “Nick Cannon Addresses Backlash Over Casting Chris Brown In ‘She Ball’

1. Liz Phelps on said:

Wow, incredible weblog format! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The entire look of your site is fantastic, as well as the content material!

2. Vanessa Mayo on said:

F*ckin’ amazing things here. I’m very happy to peer your article. Thanks a lot and i’m taking a look forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?

3. Great blog right here! Additionally your website so much up fast! What host are you the use of? Can I am getting your associate link in your host? I want my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

4. I am no longer certain where you’re getting your information, but great topic. I must spend a while studying more or figuring out more. Thank you for excellent info I was looking for this info for my mission.

5. African American Woman on said:

Don’t start none, won’t be none. If she had hit another woman and the woman got the best of her, y’all would be saying she got what she deserved. You cannot start violence with someone without the risk that they may kick your ass. Man or woman, cause I know some women who can and have put beat downs on men. If women want to be treated equal,as so many keep whining about,you gotta except the consequences when things don’t work out in your favor.Alot of men are starting to avoid women,dating and/hiring,because they are too much of an unnecessary risk. A woman can accuse a man of anything without proof and he will be assumed guilty without a trial.. Bow you have this asinine metoo crap where every woman in the world is pulling every encounter with a man she’s ever had and calling sexuaharassment! I don’t blame men sometimes.

6. The problem here is that people can’t get past the past, I mean yes things were done and we all know that media has it’s own spin to put on everything,However the man has done what was required of him in order to move on.I get what nick is saying just making a comparison that’s all,But let’s not forget people like Ray Rice yes he was wrong as was his now wife, But the mans carreer was ruined even after doing everything that was asked of him and then some. Stop making people’s past their present.

7. @Leslie and Kate1221 – I don’t condone Chris putting his hands on Rhinna – but isn’t innocent in the altercation that took place – actually she started it!!! Any time a woman lay hands on a MAN – she better expect to get hands Kaye’s upon her! It’s stupid to think you can just hit a man and not think he MIGHT hit your a$$ back!! And besides – he was a kid then!! He doesn’t deserve his career to be over because of a terrible mistake! All of us have done things in our youth that we regret! Rake up the leaves in your own backyard before trying to rake up someone else’s. Just because I don’t agree doesn’t mean I’m against women issues! I have females all throughout my family and I tell them – if you put your hands on a man – he just may put his hands on you!! Real Talk!

• African American Woman on said:

I agree with the whole if you put your hands on me, I’m gonna put my hands on you. All women pretty much know that they can get away with violence towards a man, but act like little angels when the man hits them back.

• RENO2AC on said:

My grandmother’s motto to us girls was, “EVERYBODY keep their hands to themselves, and their feet on the ground.” I have never hit a man, nor have I ever been hit by a man. My dad raised my brothers to never hit a woman under any circumstances. He said that you have the option to walk away. I know that in today’s society that is not the norm. However, Rhianna was beat to a bloody pulp! Even if she did hit him first, the physical damage that was done to her far outweighed what she did to him. He did not have a scratch on him. IJS.

• RENO2AC on said:

He beat her to a bloody pulp. Now, if he had a black eye, a bloody nose, and scratches on his face, I would say, “Well, she got as good as she gave.” So, her one hit turned into a beatdown. He went too far. He could have pushed her boney behind out the car, and kicked rocks. He didn’t have to beat that girl like he did.

• Leslie on said:

Lol, alrighty then “Chris”, I really don’t recall saying, nor implying that Rihanna was “innocent”, nor that a woman should be allowed to hit a man without provocation or consequences, but just in case I did and forgot about it, lemme go and peek at my last comment…🙄 I also didn’t say that CB deserved to “lose his career” over what he did…last time I checked, didn’t he recently release an album that takes like 2 weeks to listen to? 😒 I simply said that he’s not necessarily the best fit for a movie meant to empower women, just as I wouldn’t co-sign Rihanna playing a part in a movie that was somehow contrary to how she has represented herself in life…my opinion. Also, if the word of subsequent GFs are to be believed, the Rihanna thing wasn’t an isolated incident of violence towards women, not to mention that he’s been openly violent towards other individuals on multiple occasions (men) sooo. 🤷🏽‍♀️ And yes, we HAVE all done things in our youth that we regret, but I for one have never done anything remotely close to beating the hell out of someone, nor has our adult son. I’m not saying that CN is a lesser person because of what he did, but I am saying that sometimes, the ramifications for the decisions that we make can follow us for a very long time. Just as Rihanna’s stupid decision to put her hands on this guy resulted in her being beaten very badly, and I’m sure that will stay with her for a lifetime. So now I’ve raked up around my own backyard, PLUS this one too! ✌🏽

8. Leslie on said:

🙄 In other words, Nick had nothing of value to say…as usual. WTH does any White, Asian or Hispanic man have to do with the actions of this particular Black man who is the subject of people’s discontent? Stick to the subject Nick, and stop tossing unnecessary claims of “racism” in the mix. It’s not like this is a film being written, directed and cast by a White man who is refusing to cast Breezy because of his violent past, YET he’s casting some violent White guy in his place. No, it’s being written, directed and cast by YOU, a Black man, so that argument is invalid, and the exact reason why a lot of people don’t take real cases of racial discrimination seriously when they do occur. Keep his race out of it, and instead, address the reasons that you feel that the guy who bashed in Rhianna’s face is the only actor available to star in a movie meant to empower women. We’ll be waiting…😒

• @SD – is name calling necessary?! Rhi Rhi as you call her wasn’t innocent in this!! Not that you care to know the real truth!

9. African American Woman on said:

I knew the white man would show up here…How about everyone take responsibility for themselves without bringing someone else into the picture? Lots of men and women of all backgrounds get away with violence everyday, unfortunately.