MIAMI (AP) — The pregnant widow of a fallen U.S. soldier on Monday contradicted President Donald Trump’s account of his phone call about her husband’s death and said what he told her “made me cry even worse.”

Myeshia Johnson told ABC’s “Good Morning America” in an interview that Democratic Rep. Frederica Wilson was practically a member of their family and was among a group of people listening to Trump’s call on a speakerphone as they drove to receive Sgt. La David Johnson’s body.

“The president said that he knew what he signed up for but it hurts anyway,” Johnson said. “And it made me cry because I was very angry at the tone of his voice and how he said it. He couldn’t remember my husband’s name. The only way he could remember my husband’s name was he told me he had my husband’s report in front of him and that’s when he actually said, La David.”

“Whatever Ms. Wilson said was not fabricated,” Johnson said in her first interview since her husband’s death. “What she said was 100 percent correct.”

Sgt. Johnson and three comrades died Oct. 4 in Africa when militants tied to the Islamic State attacked them.

She said she also wants to know why she hasn’t been allowed to see her husband’s body. He was buried on Saturday.

“I need to see him so I will know that that is my husband,” she said. “They won’t show me a finger, a hand. I know my husband’s body from head to toe. And they won’t let me see anything. I don’t know what’s in that box. It could be empty for all I know. But I need to see my husband. I haven’t seen him since he came home.”

Trump tweeted that Wilson “fabricated” his statement and the fight escalated through the week. Trump in other tweets called her “wacky” and accused her of “SECRETLY” listening to the phone call.

Johnson said everyone in the car was listening to Trump’s call. “The phone was on speakerphone. Why would we fabricate something like that?”

Asked if she had anything to say to Trump now, Johnson said, “No, I don’t have nothing to say to him.”

The war of words between the president and Wilson began Tuesday when the Florida congresswoman recounted Trump’s conversation.

Wilson has been a friend of the Johnson family for years and Sgt. Johnson was in her 5000 Role Models program that pairs African-American boys with mentors who prepare them for college, vocational school or the military.

Johnson said she had known her husband since they were about 6 years old.

Johnson said she wants the world to know “how great of a soldier my husband was.” She also said he was “a loving and caring father and husband.”

She said she learned her husband was missing in action when military members came to her house.

“They told me there was a massive gunfire and that my husband, as of Oct. 4 was missing,” she said. “They didn’t know his whereabouts or they didn’t know where he was or where to find him. A couple of days later is when they told me he went from missing to killed in action.”

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

(Matias J. Ocner/Miami Herald via AP, File)

12 thoughts on “Fallen Soldier’s Widow: ‘Nothing To Say’ To Trump

1. The way “Chump” claimed that Senator John McCain wasn’t a war hero, because he was captured, that should let every decent American know that ’45’, does not respect our military.

2. specialt757 on said:

Well I do agree this woman should not have had her husband’s death politicized in this manner. It was not fair to her, I’m pretty sure she could have done without all the attention. I think everyone needs to stop with this non-sense, so this widow and his family can grieve in peace. People have to remember that Sgt Johnson was human being, not a disrespectful story line or political game piece to be dishonored. Move on please, I wish Mrs. Johnson the best of luck.

• Leslie on said:

I can understand this too, and the thing about it is that Tr*mp is such a petty-ass individual that he will stay right there in the midst going blow-for-blow just as long as it takes attention away from the investigation against him. I just read that when Mrs. Johnson made her statement during her television interview, he IMMEDIATELY Tweeted to contradict her accounting of the conversation. There isn’t a “Presidential” bone in that thing’s body, and he will gladly pick a fight with a woman, a minority, or a White man that works for him, or whose career/re-election he feels he has the power to influence. He is a childish bully, and now that she has spoken out, and given her own accounting of the conversation, I pray that Mrs. Johnson will just let her legal representation keep 100% pressure on the White House for accurate answers about her husband’s death, but let that dang fool “45” fight the social media battle by himself, so that she can grieve and process…

3. Leslie on said:

Aside from he fact that “45” is a lying, disgusting, Draft-dodging POS, there is something else very, very wrong here! Initially, the official claims were that Sgt. Johnson’s body was located over a mile away from where the other soldiers in his unit were found, and no one was sure why, now his widow is saying that no one will even allow her to verify her husband’s remains?? No, I’m sorry but that coffin would NOT have gone into the ground until SOMEONE representing my family had verified that it was my husband in it, even if the remains were only partial! Just as she said, for all she knows, that casket could be completely EMPTY! The family may eventually have to petition to have his remains exhumed, because I definitely sense a coverup in the works here!

• specialt757 on said:

Well that’s interesting. Our government has been known to do shady shit and they rank #1 in cover ups, so there may be something to what you’ve stated. She should demand (no bullshit story) an explanation and to know for sure those are her husband’s remains.

• Leslie on said:

Yes, they certainly are capable of it, and then to hear that Senators were stunned to find out that we currently have such a significant military presence in Niger is also troubling. There are a lot of theories floating around about this one, and I’d be willing to bet that 45’s little money-grubbing hands are all over it. Either way, Mrs. Johnson and the other families deserve to know the truth…

4. WILLIAM HUBBARD on said:

Your husband served this country with honor, unfortunately we have a president that DOES NOT know the meaning of the word. He only understands LIES AND DECEPTION.

5. FallMornings on said:

Why is the black woman only talking to the press? Three others were killed. I guess using black folk makes a better headline. Leave her alone and let her grieve. Darn!

• Leslie on said:

Well, I’m assuming because she is the only one that 45 spoke disrespectfully to, which is no surprise to me. I doubt if she’s being forced to do anything against her will, but yes at some point, she is going to want all of this to die down so that she can grove in peace…

6. The Truth on said:

I keep saying over and over again. He is a Liar and incapable of loving anyone. You have people in this world that do Not have and emotional bone on there body. He is wired to praise himself and business minded. He will never and could never be a Successful Leader. You must have character. You must have Integrity . You must be Trusted and most of All You have to Care for people.

7. Chump has no SENSITIVITY nor HUMANITY!!!!!!

If he couldn’t say anything positive to this young man’s widow-his dumbass should’ve
    kept his big mouth shut!!!!!!!!!

Kelly and all of Chump’s puppets can LIE all they want-I believe this woman and
    what Chump said to her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Leslie on said:

Exactly, Kelly completely discredited himself by getting up there and lying for “45”, and “45” knew that he would, which is why he dragged his son’s death into this in the 1st place, and now Kelly will have to live with that truth in his heart from now on. They are all disgusting…