Aramis Ayala, Florida’s first and only Black elected state attorney, is still trying to figure out why she was abruptly pulled over by overzealous Orlando police officers.

I’m scratching my head, too.

It may be a case of racial profiling – or a simple mistake—but the Orlando cops harassed the wrong Black woman. They pulled Ayala over but could not explain why. When she asked questions, the cops offered vague and convoluted answers.

The situation sounds shaky. Here’s what happened:

Ayala was pulled over by two police officers June 19 while leaving Florida A&M University College of Law, where she had taught an evening class.

She told the officers she was the Florida state attorney and she asked the cops why she was being stopped. Ayala handed the officer her driver’s license and fully cooperated.

And then one of the officers began to offer a half-baked explanation.

“Thank you, your tag didn’t come back, never seen that before, but we’re good now. We ran the tag, I’ve never seen it before with a Florida tag, it didn’t come back to anything, so that’s the reason for the stop.”

Really?

Ayala then asked: “What was the tag run for?”

“Oh we run tags through all the time, whether it’s a traffic light and that sort stuff, that’s how we figure out if cars are stolen and that sort of thing,” the cop said.

“Also, the windows are really dark, I don’t have a tint measure but that’s another reason for the stop.”

So was the stop because Alaya’s tag didn’t come back to the computer or because her tinted windows were too dark? Which one is it?

In the officer’s body-cam video, Ayala seems annoyed.

“Do you guys have cards on you?” she asked the officers.

And here’s where it gets crazy.

“One second,” on the of the officers says. “Actually, this isn’t my car but I can write my name down.”

It’s not his car?

The cop writes his name on a piece of paper and hands it to Ayala.

“There you are, have a good day,” the cops tells Ayala and she drives off.

Was this payback against Ayala? Was it racial profiling? Is it an orchestrated harassment?

In April, Ayala received a noose in the mail. Ayala’s office reported the incident after recently receiving two threatening and racist letters in the mail, which included a noose made with green twine. An incident report also stated that Ayala “believes the hangman’s noose was meant as a threat to her as a public official” and that these incidents are hate crimes.

Ayala is embroiled in a public feud with Florida Gov. Rick Scott because Ayala has refused to seek the death penalty in a number of recent cases. Scott reassigned 21 of her cases and Ayala argues that Scott doesn’t have the authority to take cases away from her. She has filed a federal lawsuit against Scott.

In March, Stan McCullars, the assistant finance director at the Seminole County Clerk of Court and Comptroller’s Office was placed on administrative leave after posting Facebook comments saying Ayala “should be tarred and feathered if not hung from a tree.”

“Maybe SHE should get the death penalty,” McCullars wrote in Facebook comments.

Meanwhile, The Orlando Police Department released a statement saying it runs tags “for official business only,” a practice “done routinely on patrol.”

But Ayala wasn’t buying it.

“To be clear, I violated no laws, ”Ayala told reporters. “The license plate, while confidential was and remains properly registered. The tint was in no way a violation of Florida law.”

Ayala plans to meet with Orlando Police Chief John Mina to get a clear explanation for why she was stopped.

She deserves an honest answer.

What do you think?

PHOTO: YouTube screenshot

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Share your email below to receive our daily newsletter!

24 thoughts on “When Racial Profiling Goes Wrong: Cops Pull Over Fla.’s State Attorney

1. mrknowitall on said:

It turns out this racist black supremacist racial profile the police and stereotyped the police proving once again that black people are racist bigots and she should be fired for her Racism

2. I a African American female that was going to lunch day and cop pulled me over after running my tag at a red light. He approached my car and presented my registration and license and he he lost his voice and turned red because put the letters on tag in wrong.

3. Joe Gonzales on said:

I Have problems with Aramis when she refused to get a death sentence for a crazy murdering Black Brother who stabbed to death his pregnant Black girl friend, then proceded to kill a Black Sister police officer .Our Suster police officer was extremely good and liked in the Black community. Aramis is wrong wrong Sorry to go against her.I feel.like a hirse kicked me in the guts.

• Wilbur on said:

Do you have a paypal account… because you can generate an extra 1900 weekly in your pay check working from home for 4 hours each day. check this page

4. jhuf on said:

OK so they ran a random check on her plates (something cops do NYC has a vehicle theft task force thats all they do) it came back no reg to that vehicle the officer also stated her window tint was too dark so how could he have known what race or gender the driver was, and who knows waybe it was the loved ones of the murder victims that sent her that noose, I’ll leave that up to the voters next election

• RICKIE L BETHANY on said:

jhuf, not buying that. Actually her driver side window as down along with the passenger window. What they saw was an African American driving a somewhat expensive car and probably thought it was a drug dealer or something… You’re not pulled over randomly because of a license plate check as if that be the case in any city or state, cops would be busy 24/7 just running license plates for nothing… Also in that manner, what about the tints in cops personal vehicles? I know they are WAY to dark and above the 35% that’s suppose to be recommended for regular vehicles.. I comment on this because I have a few LEOs in my family and some of the same subjects are brought up in topic.

• Dr. Larry on said:

You’re wrong Rickie Bobby. Look closer, it’s raining. Do you drive around with your windows down when raining Playa? She rolled her window, tinted window, down when the officer approached. You can see his reflection. You can’t see race thru tinted windows or a gun for that matter. That is why they are illegal. Nothing to see here, perfectly legal stop. Quit reaching

5. specialt757 on said:

She had a FL tag and even if that tag was expired, it would have registered in their system. You won’t be able to convince me, he stopped her because her tag didn’t come back with ANY information, if so, he should have run it again. I can’t see the make and model of her car, but I can almost guarantee, he didn’t think she should be driving it, therefore, reason for the excuse, “we run tags to identify stolen cars”. You think if she were driving a hoop-ty or beater he would have stopped her? Hell to the naw.

6. stephanie Jones on said:

Incompetent and racist swine, doesn’t event have the sense to come with a legal and logical reason why he stopped her, just hateful and evil