Bruno Mars performs at the Staples Cente

Source: ROBYN BECK / Getty

One Twitter user found out what happens when you come for Bruno Mars and his music.

Plenty of people love Bruno’s music, and his sound has certainly evolved from his first album to his current one. He’s gone from crooner pop to funk, and it’s all been good.

Bruno expanded on his popularity with Uptown Funk, and it’s been played every party in existence since it came out. He rode that love to a gig opening the BET Awards this weekend, but not everyone was thrilled with his appearance.

A woman named Jenn M. Jackson, who has written for The Root and The Washington Post, went on Twitter to let it be known that she thinks Bruno’s sound is nothing more than cultural appropriation. Admittedly, Bruno’s latest album sounds like Saturday at the beauty shop. However, Jenn is not happy with how he’s risen to fame.

Before her viewed as nothing more than empty criticism, she broke down her argument.

Then she brought a few more names into the mix.

When Black Twitter caught hold of the accusation, his fans spoke up in his defense. While no one denied that Bruno was borrowing on Black music for the current incarnation of his sound, none of his listeners were holding it against him.

To be fair, it’s hard to be mad at the man behind some of the only music that everyone at the family cookout can bop to.

Woman Accuses Bruno Mars Of Cultural Appropriation & Black Twitter Shuts Her Down was originally published on hellobeautiful.com

66 thoughts on “Woman Accuses Bruno Mars Of Cultural Appropriation & Black Twitter Shuts Her Down

1. Task in Patrick on said:

We Puerto Rican are mix with black if she wants do what you want his DNA will speak and your 👄 will be shut 4 ever

2. Love is Key! on said:

Who cares about the color of an artist skin? Why make “music” a racial thing? Ridiculous! If you like the music, listen to it. If not, don’t listen to it. If you want attention, there are other ways to get it without hating on an artist, regardless of the color of their skin. Funk is funk —yesterday and today. Write about something positive instead of hating. This just happened to be Bruno Mars’ moment in the industry and quite frankly, he is doing a great job. Great entertainer.

3. Bruno Mars is a black of Latino descent. Why this is of such concern to Ms. Jackson is odd, being that there are many more pressing issues affecting blacks, like drug use and deadbeat dads- black on black crime. Instead, she talks about fluffy inflammatory fabrications so she can pay for her Escalade and her fake hair, cuz we all know she wants to be white. Boycott this LOSER

• Queen_Of_Bondage on said:

Dumb azz….you just contributed to more racism by making that statement. How would you like it if someone said that you and your race needed to be worried about better education, better English skills, illegal immigration, stealing jobs from Americans, and other bullsh!t that they associate with Hispanics? I don’t particularly agree with her comment; she might be out of bounds. However, you don’t need to make matters worse by dissing Black people. This is about music and not about Sociology.

• Bruno Mars is a dick .. He puts down black women .. Because it makes him feel confident… To pick on someone in society that he thinks no one will care about to make up for his insecurity’s .as a person.. Listen to all the songs … He’s a jerk! Talented jerk and a bulling wannabe pimp!

4. specialt757 on said:

“Blacks did those thinks to “FIT IN’.” I see what you mean Amber. And unfortunately, we’ve always been taught to hate our skin, it wasn’t until James B made it a national phenomenon to be proud of your blackness, and tuned our national anthem “SAY IT LOUD, I’M BLACK AND I’M PROUD”. However, the things I mentioned earlier are still going on in 2017.
    Perhaps if we learned that “success comes from standing out, not fitting in” we’d view things a little different. We should be proud and make others stand up and notice, we love who we are. But as you can see, there are many blacks who hate the skin they’re in and wish they were white. Very sad.

• Truth on said:

Blacks easily give others all they have with a big grin. While other groups stick together and protect what they have and keep it in the family. A large number of these black athletes singers and blacks with money its first thing they do marry a white person or some other group. Sad because these other groups have no such embrace of blacks. But they will take that money.

5. Funk please this guy is nowhere nesr funky. Hes a nother white or cuban whatever faking the funk and cant sing just like these whiteboy so_ called soul sing . I wouldnt buy any of thst garbage.

6. specialt757 on said:

I just got a question about “cultural appropriation” and this is only because I don’t get caught up in the bullshit. But my question is, was it called cultural appropriation when black folks straighten their curly hair and lighten their skin or color their hair blond, get blue contacts, and wear white women clothes, or wear European cut business suits? I’m just saying, I love my people and e’ry body knows that by now, but honestly I try to look as far from white as humanly possible. I love our cultural in so many ways but there are also things I absolutely hate and that is the “racism” among and within our own race. You know what I mean, the “high-yellow”, the red bone” the “tar baby”, the “blue-black mofos”, and the list goes on.
    So while we attribute many great things to our culture and rightfully so, there are things we should just accept. We are the bomb digity and people want to be us, that is until they get stopped by the po-po. But music, one more time, is UNIVERSAL. You can’t help what you like and most people listen to the music they like, and the color of the artist has no barring. So as” FYI” says if you don’t like Mr. Mars, don’t listen to his music, but Ms. Jackson, there are more important issues within the black community that you can write about.
    One of the thing, just because you say it, don’t make it so. Read into that what you want.
    Peace.

• Amber on said:

I understand what you are saying but the difference is “cultural apporiation” compare to “cultural assumilation”. Blacks did those thinks to “FIT IN’. Sorry but many jobs do not want us to come in with braids in our hair (look how we get into the discussion on what to name our kids. Why does that matter as long as the kid is educated and can do the job when they grow up). On my part, I have no problem with Bruno Mars (to me, he looks black and fit in with blacks and many folks think he is black) or anyone who is influence by black cultural like Teena Marie and others just as long as they give props who started it. What made people mad with Elvis is he became popular from black style and music YET blacks who were doing the same thing or better (Little Richard) did not get the titles or they put whites on the album covers. It is some what different today but still goes on in some other form. But again, Bruno is NOT in this group.

• Elaine Hall on said:

I am 100 pc in agreement with you. There are more important issues to address ie black on black crime and dealing with black on black hate. Education needs to be a priority in the community.

• Elaine on said:

specialt757 we need more educated people like you who are able to understand when and what needs to be addressed. Again am in full agreement with your comments and others could learn a lesson from you as well.

7. Say What!!! on said:

One thing I say about issues like this that we have remember not all blacks think alike and what is important to one black person may not be important to another black person. I disagree with Ms. Jackson about Mr. Mars but that is her view and how she sees things.

8. GOOD MUSIC is GOOD MUSIC! Misappropriation is code for racism. We have enough of that already. Please report on something more substantial. If you don’t like Bruno Mars’ music, don’t listen to it!

9. Amber on said:

Bruno Mars is Cuban and look like a black Cuban like one of my cousins. And Bruno looks like Michael Jackson from the “off the wall” era and other blacks like Jackie Wilson. Leave Bruno alone. That does not apply here.

10. Hoodrich on said:

to hell with the critics…I love Teena Marie, Hall and Oats, The Average White Band, Lisa Stansfield, 3rd Base, The Beastie Boys and Eminem to name a few. Music is universal, so as long as the artist believes in the music and sing from the heart, it’s being played in my house

11. Harriet on said:

First and second, The Spanish bought African slaves to the Philippines and to Puerto Rico. In both colonies the indigenous people, African slaves and Spanish intermarried. Which explains the varied hues of the islands’s people.

There is something very wrong with, Jenn M. Jackson, this woman’s rant about misappropriation. What Jenn M. Jackson needs to do is get herself a life and an education. The hate needs to stop. You are so obviously jealous of Bruno’ s God given talent. Nothing good is going to come out of your hateful envy.

12. Benita Hamlett on said:

Music is universal. It doesn’t matter what color you are. I’m a black woman and I love my blackness. Just last week I was on YouTube listening to the Bee Gees. Dam people, put the hate where the hate is due. Not in the music. I never heard Mars show any kind of dislike for black people or people in general. We need to start figuring out a way to keep our black boys and men safe and stop with this other non sense.

13. Tanisha on said:

In all honesty I was wondering if Bruno Mars was stealing the culture or a part of the culture. So I decided to look him up. I had a feeling that he was not black because of what he was doing when he first came out. Now blacks love him and black radio stations love him. All of that is fine, but the question is what does he really think about us as people and not our music? Being Puerto rican does not make you black, it makes you Puerto rican. And just because you love black music does not mean you love black people. Jus’ sayin’.

• Hi, i m a latina white . I dont understand why you think white people hatea black people. You are so wrong. Most of american people hate latinos. So hate for hate? Thas is not the solution.

• His lyrics are degrading to black women… Who does he think he is …calling then shaniquays.. And how he can get them any time but he wants … Blah blah blah ! What a jerk! Direspectful… Using put downs to try to make himself look more desirable .. He may be talented but he is an Asshole as a person!

14. Zerkeise on said:

No different than those who claim to be Christians, go to church 3-4 times a week and curse your neighbor. When will it be “God-like Appropriate” to stop demeaning and killing one another?

Being a writer, she should have something more substantial to talk about.

15. Gaynell Wilson on said:

I agree with the young lady. Bruno mars doesn’t identify with black people he is capitalizing off of blacks but don’t identify with poc which is what he is…I like his music but I already recognize it because it’s black music that has already been created as well as his dance moves. Nothing special about what he is doing. He’s energy is really good but that’s it!

• Amber on said:

If you and Bruno was riding in car and bunch of racist wanted to hurt blacks, guess what, YOU and Bruno will get treated the SAME.

16. Mary Scurlock on said:

We as a race are quick to single someone out
    Be it race or sexual preference. And demand that other follow play. We like what we like! Stop singing your bitchy tones and move on to the next issue!

17. Virginia on said:

From Wikipedia:”Peter Gene Hernandez was born on October 8, 1985,[1] in Honolulu, Hawaii to Peter Hernandez and Bernadette San Pedro Bayot, and was raised in the Waikiki neighborhood of Honolulu.[2]

His father is of half Puerto Rican and half Ashkenazi Jewish descent (from Ukraine and Hungary), and is originally from Brooklyn, New York.[3][4][5] His mother emigrated from the Philippines to Hawaii as a child, and was of Filipino, and some Spanish, ancestry.”
    Puerto Rican and Spanish? Definitely some black in there somewhere.
    It also says that his parents were entertainers and his father preferred R&B music, and Bruno started performing when he was a toddler.

• Virginia on said:

But I also want to add that black people have to be careful. There was a day when (for about 100 years) when Everybody got paid for stealing black music, dance, comedy, etc., EXCEPT black people. That’s how Elvis became the “King of Rock and Roll”, even though Rock n Roll was originally all black music, referred to as “race” music that was corrupting white youth. Whites wanted Rock and Roll so badly they invented a whole new category for black music, Rhythm and Blues. And went on to make BILLIONS on black music played by white people.
      I don’t share the strong views about this as some do, but I do agree that cultural appropriation is REAL, especially with regard to black culture. It IS very important that we continue to CLAIM what is ours, and not give it up so easily. After all, we founded the only original American music, Jazz. And we too easily begin a music trend and then abandon it to the majority. Rock and Roll, Jazz, Ragtime, R&B, Disco, Rap, Hip Hop, etc. We cannot move on to the next best thing and forget the legacy we’ve left behind. Somebody Else Will Claim It!

• specialt757 on said:

Just because some one claims it don’t mean they OWN it. History speaks for itself. Jazz don’t belong to them although most of the jazz artist that are out today and non-black but when you speak about jazz most of us remember the greats and they are BLACK.
        When I listen to music, the only reason I want to know the artist is because I want to know who to look for when I download it or to avoid. Their race is a non-factor if I like it. The only way it’s a factor if they are known racists, child molesters, rapists or murderers and hell, if I don’t know who or what they are, I’ll research it on the information highway and use it for what it was intended for.

• Amber on said:

I agree culture appropriation
        is real but Bruno is not the one to label as this.

18. Stephanne D Hillman on said:

IT’S A CYCLE MUSIC IS BORROWED FROM EVERY GENRE IT’S NOT ABOUT COLOR IT’S ABOUT MUSIC WHICH IF YOU ENJOY IT THAN DO SO ME AS A BLACK WOMAN LOVES HIS MUSIC ALONG WITH ROBIN THICKE,

• specialt757 on said:

MJ too, we have many black artists who’ve crossed over but we still enjoy their music. Music is universal and it seems like when ever you hear good music (ANY kind), you don’t have to know the artist’s race to enjoy it. Stop the foolishness, sorry Miss Jackson!

19. Ok, what is Bruno Mars’ race? It’s not important to me and I LOVE his music, but since she is ranting that he’s not black, then what is his race? She mentioned some white artists but is Bruno white? He doesn’t look like it to me.

• Say What!!! on said:

I agree Lois. Bruno as someone said looks like Michael Jackson from OFF the Wall and the Rock with you video with a touch of Jackie Wilson.

20. specialt757 on said:

I enjoy singing and dancing to music that has a good and uplifting beat and lyrics I’m not ashamed to sing in front of my elders or young kids. Back in the day when I was growing up there was no black radio station or not many and white music like KC and the sunshine ban, heat wave, AVB, wham, the eagles, etc were played and we enjoyed listening to it. I personally don’t have a problem with Bruno Mars or Robin Thicke’s music, at least I understand the words and the beats are the bomb. I’m not sure what Ms. Jackson’s beef with cutie pie Mr. Mars, but I think she needs just try to enjoy her life and not sweat the small stuff and ALL of it is small stuff.

21. Gwendolyn Waller on said:

Bruno Mars may not identify as Black, but look at his complexion. There is someone black in his family tree All you need to do is study the history about the route that the slave ships took.. Time to get over skin color. He has a white audience because of the POP sound that he began with. I personally like most of his music. Appears to me that the man has plan to corner the market and appeal to everyone. What’s wrong with that? And yes, there is cultural appropriation of the black culture in lots of ways from surgeries for white women to have larger buts and lips to speech to clothing style, etc. But are we doing the same with white culture every time a black woman gets a blonde weave or with clothing style or when we try to look like white run way models to black men dating and marrying white women and yes with the music? I say it’s just time for everyone to stop being stupid when it comes to skin color.

• Amber on said:

I agree with your statement Gwendolyn. I prefer a Bruno Mars who look black, love black music, etc than black man like Charles Barkley who run white women and try to act like he can talk about blacks.

• Im white and i love funk, i hate pop. And you be shock if you know that a lot of white people knows about black music. You be atonismment.

22. If this woman is going to accuse Bruno Mars of appropriating Black music-then she also needs to place Robin Thicke on that short list.

You can tell that Robin grew up listening to R&B music-which is why he sounds so good singing it.

What I would love to see less of in Black music these days is the TOTAL DISRESPECT OF WOMEN. I can’t listen to any of that hip/hop mess-it degrades the female species.

Brothers in the rap game have sold their damn souls for some damn dead presidents.

I would love to see some artists who actually play and instrument. I grew up when there were
    actual bands-The Barkays, Ohio Players, Isley Brothers.

It was music you could dance to and sing the words-because the words were not ugly ones!!!!!!!!!