One Twitter user found out what happens when you come for Bruno Mars and his music.
Plenty of people love Bruno’s music, and his sound has certainly evolved from his first album to his current one. He’s gone from crooner pop to funk, and it’s all been good.
Bruno expanded on his popularity with Uptown Funk, and it’s been played every party in existence since it came out. He rode that love to a gig opening the BET Awards this weekend, but not everyone was thrilled with his appearance.
A woman named Jenn M. Jackson, who has written for The Root and The Washington Post, went on Twitter to let it be known that she thinks Bruno’s sound is nothing more than cultural appropriation. Admittedly, Bruno’s latest album sounds like Saturday at the beauty shop. However, Jenn is not happy with how he’s risen to fame.
Before her viewed as nothing more than empty criticism, she broke down her argument.
Then she brought a few more names into the mix.
Taking our shit and repackaging it for white people is not innovation. Even if these non-Black ppl sing well, it’s appropriation. Period.
— Jenn M. Jackson (@JennMJack) June 25, 2017
When Black Twitter caught hold of the accusation, his fans spoke up in his defense. While no one denied that Bruno was borrowing on Black music for the current incarnation of his sound, none of his listeners were holding it against him.
To be fair, it’s hard to be mad at the man behind some of the only music that everyone at the family cookout can bop to.
Short in Stature - Tall in Talent
1. Singer, songwriter, roecord producer, dancer and actor Ne-Yo is 5'8" ... maybe 5'10" with his fedora. (Retna)1 of 14
2. Comedian, actor and all-around funny guy Kevin Hart is around 5’2. (Retna)2 of 14
3. Prince is somewhere between 4'11" and 5'2" depending on his heels. However, when he's on stage he seems nine feet tall.3 of 14
4. Usher Raymond is around 5’8 although he seems taller. (PR Photos)4 of 14
5. Rapper and actor Bow Wow also is around 5’7". His swag makes up for his height. (PR Photos)5 of 14
6. Record producer, songwriter and rapper Jermaine Dupri stands around 5'4"6 of 14
7. Sexy rocker, singer/songwriter, designer and actor Lenny Kravitz is around 5'7" too. (Retna)7 of 14
8. Lil Wayne is 5'5" and since he goes by 'Lil Wayne, it was a dead giveaway.8 of 14
9. Singer & songwriter Musiq Soulchild is 5'6".9 of 14
10. Singer and Songwriter CeeLo Green is 5'6".10 of 14
11. Tom Cruise is 5’7". Nicole Kidman announced after their split "I can wear heels again"! (PR Photos)11 of 14
12. R&B singer, songwriter, actor, and record producer Omarion is 5'.6". He is multi-talented. (PR Photos)12 of 14
13. R&B and neo soul singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and record producer D’Angelo also is 5'6". (The Urban Daily)13 of 14
14. Bruno Mars is around 5'2" but with his current hairstyle, he's probably around 5'9"! (Retna)14 of 14