NEW YORK (AP) — There’s “clap back,” where celebrities go after haters on social media, and then there’s “clap back” Kim Kardashian West-style, where one of the biggest names in the game takes on a 19-year-old, actress Chloe Grace Moretz.
As Twitter shade goes, there’s been far worse, but like most things Kardashian, this round scored thousands and thousands of clicks.
It started Monday night with a nude, in-the-mirror selfie — black censor bars in all the right places — that Kardashian West pushed out, noting later it was an old shot.
The not-so-new nude was enough to motivate Bette Midler to joke in a tweet:
“Kim Kardashian tweeted a nude selfie today. If Kim wants us to see a part of her we’ve never seen, she’s gonna have to swallow the camera.”
Get it? Well, Moretz did, re-tweeting Midler’s joke and weighing in with a tweet or two of her own — because 140 characters were slightly not enough — as she addressed Kardashian West directly:
“I truly hope you realize how important setting goals are for young women, teaching them we have so much more to offer than just our bodies.”
That’s when IT happened, the IT looking just like this:
Moretz’s cover in Nylon magazine being a shot of her in a pretzel-like pose on a shaggy white rug, a jacket draped strategically to enhance the appearance that she, too, was nude underneath. However, the photo’s caption mentions a Dior bodysuit, so — you know — whatever.
The pile-on included a mention elsewhere that Moretz might be slut-shaming Kardashian West, a claim Moretz took on thusly in more tweets:
“There’s a huge difference in respecting the platform that you’re given as a celebrity and ‘slut shaming’ something I never have done and would never do.”
The crazy resonated offline among celebrity watchers. Billy Bush, co-host of NBC’s “Access Hollywood Live,” wondered on air Tuesday why Kardashian West bothered to go there in the first place.
“Kim needs to understand that because the way she has presented herself she’s public domain. She’s fodder for that sort of stuff,” he said.
Others, as these things usually go, also hopped on, but they’re grown people and can fend for themselves. But why Midler was singled out by the all-powerful Kardashian West, who’s usually quite nice on Twitter, is up for grabs. An email to Kardashian West’s publicist was not immediately answered Tuesday.
Nor was an email to Moretz’s publicist seeking additional comment.
Third grade-like petty doesn’t begin to cover some of the details involving Midler.
Twitter Kim made a crack about her age and mentioned that Midler once gave her a gift but now falls into the “fake friend” category.
Of course Bette responded:
“I never tried to fake friend you. Looks like anyone can take a selfie but not everyone can take a joke.”
Speaking of funny, Kardashian West followed up hours later with yet another missive, this one aimed at speculation that her earlier tone was so off her usual norm that one of her more outspoken loved ones might have hacked her account.
— Twitter aficionado Piers Morgan offered to buy Kim some clothes and wisecracked about some personal debt the other half of Kimye, Kanye West, noted in a recent online rant of his own.
— And this from (thank you) Bella Thorne: “I think every woman should be allowed to make their own choices with their OWN bodies soo..”
Ride Or Die! Celebrity Women Who Stayed By Their Men Over The Years
1. Tia Mowry & Cory HardictSource:Tia's Instagram 1 of 21
2. Ray and Janay RiceSource:AP 2 of 21
3. Yandy Smith and MendeeceesSource:Instagram 3 of 21
4. Denzel and Pauletta PattonSource:PR 4 of 21
5. TI and Tiny5 of 21
6. Ice T and CocoSource:PR 6 of 21
7. Eniko and Kevin HartSource:Instagram 7 of 21
8. Timbaland and MoniqueSource:Instagram 8 of 21
9. Tamar and VinceSource:Instagram 9 of 21
10. Kanye and Kim Kardashian WestSource:Instagram 10 of 21
11. Cassie and DiddySource:Instagram 11 of 21
12. Emily B and FabolousSource:Instagram 12 of 21
13. Chrissy Lampkin and Jim JonesSource:Instagram 13 of 21
14. Jay Z and BeyonceSource:Tumblr 14 of 21
15. Oprah and StedmanSource:PR 15 of 21
16. Carmelo and Lala AnthonySource:PR 16 of 21
17. Will and Jada Pinkett SmithSource:PR 17 of 21
18. Dwayne Wade and Gabrielle UnionSource:Instagram 18 of 21
19. Vanessa and Kobe BryantSource:PR 19 of 21
20. Bill and Hillary ClintonSource:PR 20 of 21
21. Ludacris & EudoxieSource:Instagram 21 of 21
(Photo Source: AP, Twitter)